Chapter 4 || Over My Dead Body

< - - - - E m b e r - - - - >

After our supper, I cleared the table and began washing the few dishes used from the day. Seeing as it's always just Ferbius and me, there's never very much. "Are you ready for your studies, my dear?" Ferbius asked. The exhausted groan involuntarily escapes my lips as I turn to meet his expectant gaze. Although I knew this was to come, it's our routine every night, after all, there was a small part of me that was hopeful he'd forget or by some miracle decide to cancel it for tonight. As much as I appreciate his efforts to guide me in the ways of medicine and herbs, it's just not where my passions lie. 

"Must we. It's late, and I'm certain when the sun goes to sleep we are supposed to too," I try, but I already know there will be no budging; there never is. As much as I think I was born with my stubbornness, I know much of it rubbed off from the old bones walking towards me with the even older text in his hands. 

He lets out a low chuckle, before placing the familiar text on the table. It was one of the few books Ferbius was able to obtain from a wealthy merchant before the trades were closed after the plague. It's a translated text from ancient medicines all the way from India, Persia, and the far regions of China. I use to sit in wonder of the great text and the teachings it could give bring me, but now it is my dread every night. "Since when do you do things you are supposed to."

"Cheeky, old man," I huff and walk over to meet him in our usual spot. 

"Where did we leave off?" He asked me, flipping through the worn pages. 

"Herbs and their healing properties," I recite, earning a proud nod from Ferbius, as I try to hold my rolling eyes in place. 

"Alright, let us begin," he clears his throat, before holding his head in a frustrated and pained manner. "I have a terrible throbbing in my head," he starts my lesson by acting out a symptom to which I must diagnose, and give the proper medicine for. 

"Do you have achy joints?" I probe, forming the list of possible diagnostics in my head. 

"Yes, in my arms and legs," he stated, showing the difficulty of moving his limbs. I tried not laugh at the display, knowing it would only earn a stern look in return. 

"Okay, then you require sweet-smelling herbs such as rose, lavender, sage, and bay. Also, a mixture of henbane and hemlock to be applied to aching joints. And lastly, coriander to reduce a fever," I finish beaming because I know it's right. 

"Nicely done," he exclaims. "Now, I have sharp pains in my stomach region," he suddenly crunches over holding his stomach as though he were sick.

"Any blood when you cough?" He shakes his head staying in character. "Um, I'm going to go with wormwood, mint, and balm," I say, a little unsure, seeing as stomach pains are my worst area, and he knows it. He grins widely standing up straight, suddenly cured by magic. 

"Wonderfully done! Look what a little practice gets you," He praised while subtly reminding the importance of our lessons together. "Now, I'm--" he begins, but at that moment there is loud pounding on the small wooden door. Ferbius instantly makes his way to the entry, but I'm afraid if our weak door receives one more of those poundings it will break right off. As far as the owner of the pounds, we are used to getting patients at all hours of the night, so this is nothing too out of the ordinary. I'm just glad that there will be no more lessons for the remainder of the night. He cracks the door open just wide enough to peak out. "How may I help you?" He asks, but he is quickly pushed, aside, falling back only to be caught by the wall behind him. 

"Hey, watch it!" I yell at the three guards that are now filling the entryway of our small home. Their heads skimming the ceiling. Ferbius as righted himself and gives me a stern look to watch my tongue and I take a deep breath to calm my temper. He always said my mouth was going to dig a whole I couldn't get out of one day.