Chapter 7 || Your Royal Garments

< - - - - - - - E m b e r - - - - - - - > 

"You are not going to die," I practically yell at him after, I heard his faint declaration. God, you are not to take this stupid man today, I demand silently, before taking the cure out of my pocket. "Davis, water, now!" I order, and unlike before he does as I say without hesitation. In no time, he hands me a cup. I place the healing herbs inside and mix it, before leaning towards Luca's still form. He doesn't seem to be conscious any longer as I heave his matted head up, and lifting the concoction to his still lips. I propped open his mouth, again, and began pouring the liquid, but he wasn't swallowing. Oh no. I try not to let the fear prevent me from working. "Davis," I call and he comes to my side immediately. "Pinch his nose closed," I instruct, but it seems as though any trust ran out.

"What! No, surely he will die! He can't breathe," he argues, but Luca has no time for this. 

I turn on him and shot him daggers as I scream, "I am trying to save him, you idiot! Now, do it!" He finally did as I said, and we wait a moment until finally Luca coughs on the liquid and it was free to go down his thought. I smile and sigh in sweet relief. "He won't wake up for another hour or so," I say as emotionless as I can. After that, I didn't trust myself to not break down. I was wired and shaky. I have never taken a life before, and Luca was on the break any second later and I think I would have lost him for sure.

"Ember," Davis calls coming closer to me. He hands shaking and his voice seems weary. "I apologize for questioning you. I should have known you wouldn't let him die," he smiled weakly.

I think about what he said for a moment, before asking, "Do I truly look like a killer?"

He simply shook his head, no. "But Luca," he began looking fondly at the man lying under the satin, now breathing steadily. "He can have that effect on people," Davis chuckles lightly, taking a seat in the elegant chair and propping his worn boots on the matching table. 

Despite the events, a giggle escapes my lips, "That he does. How can you stand it?" Surely, he must get frustrated with our prince. He takes orders from him every day!

He laughed loudly and unabashedly, and I see why Luca keeps Davis in his company. "He's not a bad person, really. He cares about everything too much actually. Sometimes I think it will be his biggest downfall." He says the last part more to himself and there is sadness behind it. Davis looks over at me again with an easy smile now on his face, and adds, "He is a royal though and that is bound to show itself somewhere. In Luca's case, it is his pratty moments every now and then. But he will be a great King one day. Don't tell him I said that," he chuckles. 

"You don't have to worry. I probably won't be seeing much of Prince Luca after this ordeal, but I definitely see half of what you said. He can really be a prat," I reply, taking a seat in the chair beside him. It was surprising how soft the seat was. I nearly moaned as it molded perfectly to my body.

Davis must have seen my face, for he grinned, "Yeah, these chairs have that effect on people." I snort in response. Davis is an easy going person. I always just saw him as Luca's shadow, but he is more than that. I see that now. They are friends. Is the prince friends with his servant? Perhaps there is more to him than I thought.

"How did you become a server to the Prince?" I ask suddenly curious.

"Simple, I hated him, and one day I was in the right place at the right time and I saved his life. His father said I was a good protector and dubbed me this position. Don't go reminding the King that. In his eyes I am still the scum that is too be silent, and unseen," he huffed. "How did you become a physician?" he added.