Chapter 28 || Swift To Be Kind

+ + + + + + + + +

I looked back at him in disbelief. We agreed we weren't going to speak of any of this now. We agreed and here he is muddling things up. My earlier frustration is washed away. I search his green eyes for any sign of regret and find none. "I am no one's woman," I add, trying to calm my racing heart. "You do not get to claim me before we storm a castle, have you lost your mind!" I shout.

"I need you to know-" He begins to start up again, and I can hear it in his voice that it is going to be on the same subject and I can't and I won't hear it. 

"No," I state, firmly. "I will not hear any more. For today, I am a soldier in your army, and I will fight for our kingdom, and for my King. Do not begin these notions now," I finish, before stepping away from him. I can feel the tears threatening to prick my eyes, and fight against them.

But then he takes my hand, I try to yank it back, but he tugs me lightly and I brought back to him. He places his forehead gently against mine, his hands holding onto mine for dear life. I can feel his pain washing over me. The burden he's holding. The kingdom, his father, his people, all of it. I take a ragged breath trying to ease my racing heart. 

Our small connection is all we need for now. "May your sword be swift and true," he whispers. It's the prayer every knight says before they are to fight, and he said it to me. A woman. He considers me a knight in his army. The significance is not at all lost on me, and I part with him just briefly to look into his eyes and find pride shining back on me.

"May your sword be swift and true, my King," I reply, and a solemness washes over us at what is to come. He releases my hands, but we stay close. 

"Oy," I hear the unruly voice of Travis. Luca and I separate before Travis comes out from the trees. He eyes Luca and I, before smiling, "Whilst, you two weres looking for a tree to get close under, we weres getting ready," he finishes with a shrug. 

"How's your hand, Travis, are you and it still close?" I ask before Luca can say anything. Travis bursts out laughing, and Luca grins at me. 

"A true daughter of Herandell," Travis adds with pride, but I feel none. I have no wish to Herandell and, being so means, my past is not what I know, and that is just another part of my life I am not ready to face. 

"We have a task at hand," I remind them, and all humor is gone. "Come on you two, let's get Irales back to its rightful owner."

+ + + + + + +

I hugged Ferbius, and he wished me well, before leaving my home. The men I was to lead were ready and so was I. The rest of the groups had already taken their leave. We were to be the last.  "I don't know you and you know me, but I am glad to fight beside you, men of Herandell," I smiled and they cheered lightly, before we took off swiftly, sticking to the shadows of the buildings. I could hear signs that a battle was already under foot, by the distant clashes of swords. 

The men who held their post by the entrance seemed to be contemplating joining the fights, but before they could give it much thought, their armed heads were colliding with enough force to shatter a skull. I should be frightened by the swift deaths I just witnessed, but I'm only glad that the men who committed the act are on my side. 

I nod to the others to follow and we continue our way through the entrance, the men seem to be experts on the silent, but quick approach. From all, I have heard of these men I would have never expected such acts. 

I turned the corner and snuck up behind a soldier in armor. The appeared too small to be much of a threat, however, before I could strike him, he moved out of the way, and just like that, I was in my first real sword fight. Throwing all I had into this random man, who was just as intent in my death as I was in his. He nipped my upper arm with his blade and I turned to block the next attack. Ignoring the new sting in my arm, he went to strike once more, but I was expecting this lunge and went low, sending my sword head first into his side. The man was down and I pulled my sword out. But the man was still alive. "Lady must be swift to be kind or go slow to be cruel," one of the men, who came with me, said.  Before finishing the death of the soldier. I understood his meaning quickly and took it to heart. 

The war was on, and both sides would face loss at the hand of something wicked; Wrath & Pride. The self-proclaimed Queen was willing to kill innocents in order to prove herself as being as powerful as the men, who fought for her. We continued our way down the corridors, moving with new ease and certainty in each others skill having already seen them in action.

Then, we heard it the fight had, at last, come to us, and the walls were ready. There were no other guards left for our fellow comrades to fight through once they were inside the castle. It's time. But before we could move closer, a slow clap emerged from the dark shadows of the walls. "Well done," I hear the same high pitched voice that once commented on the state of the stables what seems like years ago. "You lot managed to get yourselves captured by the very guards you set out to destroy. Was this part of your brilliant plan?" Francesa asked as she took slow deliberate steps towards me. Her blood red dress, curving to her body with each inch closer. Every man had a sword pointed at their necks, ready to meet certain death at the one tilt of their masters head. "I remember you. Your the stable hand, who couldn't keep her mouth shut," she smiled, but there was no amusement in her eyes. "Funn, how now you can't see to open your mouth."

"You don't want to hear what I have to say to you," I shrug, but my eyes hold the hatred I house for her, and her people. 

She yawns into her hand, before adding, "Your righteous antics bore me. Let's have a fire that will make this more interesting. Then, when your Prince comes, at least, I'll have the nice heat from your ashes to keep me warm," she chuckles. As though her words didn't threaten my death. 

"Do what you like, the kingdom will soon be out of your hands. King Luca will sit on the throne where he belongs and you will become a distant memory, all will soon forget. No one will remember your name, but they will recall the great King that saved them from the wicked witch," I state calmly. 

I see a subtle twitch of her upper lip. My words are affecting her more than she would like. Good! 

"Make a fire! The biggest one the Kingdom has ever seen! I want the Prince to dread the second he steps foot in his old castle." Before she completes the order, I see the tilt and suddenly the men of Herandell, who followed me, are being slaughtered like pigs. The man who seconds early taught me about life was laying on the ground gasping. Before the guards could stop me, I ran to him and ran my sword through his throat as he had done to the man before. Lady must be swift to be kind or go slow to be cruel. He will not suffer more than he has too. I gently shut his brown eyes that held no life, and gave him a silent prayer, before, my body was torn from him. 

This is not how it was supposed to happen!

+ + + + + + +