Chapter 23 || I Need Him Safe

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I show the men the servants way into the castle, and luckily for us, there were only a few guards on post, so James and Conrad took care of them with ease. In the castle, we move quick, heading down the stairs avoiding guards circulating through the halls on their various rounds. I can tell we are getting closer to the dungeons, for the sounds of screams are becoming easier to make out.

We just need to get Luca out of here. Then, we will figure it out from there. We just need him safe, but a small voice whispers the truth, I need him safe.  Heading down the stairs, James spots in his tracks. "We need a distraction," he mutters to which Conrad and I nod, but I'm nervous what he has in mind. "Give me a moment, and you'll know when to go," he states, before slipping away from us. I eye Conrad, who doesn't question his fellow knight's exit, Is it only I who harbor these fears? I suddenly hear a scream of pain that perices me straight in the heart, for I know whom it belongs to. A sick feeling attacks me, and I find myself gripping the bunt of the dagger. 

I start moving to him, but Conrad holds me back, "Wait for James."

"He might not have that much time," I state, pulling my arm back, as the sound of Luca's screams fill the air again. I begin to pound down the stairs when bells chime. The bells of invaders. Conrad pulls me to him, and we turn towards the wall allowing the shadows to act as our shield. Guards race up the stairs. 

"Now," Conrad whispers, and we race down the stairs, the stale smell of death filling my nostrils, as we search for Luca. "He will be in one of the lasts." We get to the first door, but there is no one. The second holds the same outcome. It's the last door, and Conrad looks inside the small hole, he gives me a solemn look. No! I don't accept that. Luca's here! I know he is! I take the key off the hook, and open the door. I run in, but I am not expecting the sight. 

"Smart girl," The shadows whisper, in a heavy voice. I know that voice. A small trickle of fear threatens to take hold of me, but I suppress it. The man we captured stands in a corner, hidden by the door, which gave us any sight to the room. He is holding a limp Luca, a dagger held at his neck. I search for Luca's eyes, but they are unfocused. 

"What did you do to him?!" I demand.

He chuckles, "That's not how this works. Now, leave this room or your precious prince dies in front of you." He seems too eager to kill Luca. I have to think fast. My dagger won't be fast enough, but Conrad could. The man hasn't seen him. Perhaps.

"Ember," Luca whispers, his blue eyes finally landing on me. "Leave," he orders. Why?

"Good, Prince," The man, sneers, and I can't bare it. Forgive me, I pray. Before, I can think the dagger is leaving my hands, and hurdling though the air, while I run full speed towards Luca. The man pushes the dagger away, but it's enough distraction for Conrad to show himself and fight the man to the ground, while I grab Luca. I find he can't really move his limbs period, so I drag him out of the cell. His head is swaying slightly, so I know they have drugged him, but with what?

"I'll be right back," I whisper to him.

"My men," he grunts out of his unmoving lips. Are the other Knights down here? Before I can give it much thought, I sprint down the corridor searching for signs of others. But there aren't any. No one else is down here. I heard screams more than just Luca. I don't have time to think much into this.

I turn back to find Conrad still fighting with the man, so getting my bow ready, I steady my breathing and wait for the perfect entrance. Then, shot. Getting the man right in the neck, just missing Conrad. He takes the man's head and forces it to the right only stopping once he's heard a crack. The man falls with a loud thump. "Never get on your bad side," he winks.

James comes running in then. "We have to go, now!" He pants. Conrad grabs Luca by the hand only to have Luca release a cry of pain. We have to ignore the pain, and fight to get him out of here.

"My men," Luca calls again, but none of us answer him. Conrad has him on his back, while Luca begins fading out of consciousness, and James and I, lead acting as their protection. I see that James plan was brilliant. All the guards will be searching for people coming in, but not leaving the castle. Soon we are back at my parents home and our acting safe haven. James and I push the chairs together and place a blanket atop to serve as a bed for Luca. 

Ferbuis rushes to us. I watch as he pinches his nose, and close his eyes, letting out a calming sigh, before getting to work. Without thinking, I sit beside Luca and take his left hand. I won't let go. "My men," he mutters.

"Shh, rest now, and heal. We will get your knights," I tell him, but he seems shattered at the knowledge his men are not out with him. They are still trapped somewhere in the castle. The more I think about it though, the more a sickening thought evades my mind, what if the knights aren't in the castle at all.

"He needs pulsatilla immediately before the affects become permeant." Pulsatilla is a wild purple flower that grows primarily in the forrest, but meters away from my home. It would only take mare seconds. 

"I'll be back, Princey," I whisper, and head straight for the forrest. I see the plant in view and race towards it, but a cloaked figure grabs me from behind, placing a pointed tip to my neck. 

"Aw, so we meet again," the man says, and I know immediately whom has me. The same cloaked figure I beat the first day Luca stayed at my parents home. 

 + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +