Chapter 22 || Shut My Brain Off

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I close my eyes in an attempt to find peace, but none comes. I hear the sound of the door creaking open, and see the man we had taken as our evidence. My hands are chained. My weapons are gone, and Beasty here looks ready to go for blood. In his smirk alone he is trying to inflict fear, but I push the feeling away. I focus instead on Ember & Davis. It must have worked, for he didn't receive the reaction he was after, and a deep grunt echoed through the cage. 

I simply watch him, pass in the front of the door like a caged animal. Then, he suddenly stops and turns his head slowly towards me. A wicked smirk and angry brow make this man seem dangerous. "Where are your friends?" he asks, but I stare back appearing unaffected by his mention of Conrad, James, and Ember. Then, he starts to fiddle with a ring on his finger. "I look forward to spending some time with each of them," he says as though he were talking to himself. "Especially, that girl," he adds. His eyes locked on me, searching for my reaction. They are safe, I remind myself. 

"Good luck getting your hands on any of them," I shrug. "As I recall it was that girl, who had you on your knees in agony." He didn't like that reminder before I had a chance to look away. His fist was creating its own intent in my face. The sudden pain hit, but it's nothing I'm not used to. "Only an incapable crowd would hit someone tied up," I try.

But then, he laughs, "This is not my first interrogation, kid. I don't plan on beating you." For a moment my facade wavered. What is he going to do then? I wonder, but decide not to spend much time on it. Sounds of screaming suddenly echoes through the grounds. "You hear that?" He asks.

I say nothing.

"That's the sound of your supposedly strong and brave knights, screaming for mercy that will not come. You were their leader and you left them." The screams seemed to become louder. My gut twists, as I listen. It's my fault all of this is. "The fall of the Kingdom is in your hands." He concludes. No, it's not. He is using manipulation. But before I can give it much thought suddenly he is in the chair Franseca occupied moments ago. "You want them to have a break?" He asks, but again I say nothing. "Place your hands on the table, and I'll allow them to have some water. Poor Knights haven't had a lick of food or water since the Kingdom was taken over two days ago."

He's planning something, but I try to ignore it. I need to shut my brain off. I don't want to remember this. I need to let what happens to happen to me to save my men. I place my chained hands on the table, and he moves swiftly. Before I have time to react, a rusty nail is being pushed through my right hand and into the wooden table beneath it. I have done my best not to scream out. Breathing heavily through my nose, grunts fill the air. I swallow the pain down and point my eyes at the man in front of me gauging my reaction. I don't allow my eyes to look at my hand, knowing the sight will worsen the effects. 

For a second my mind takes over and I imagine Ember beside me, holding my face to her chest embracing me and screaming words of hate at the man who sits before us. I try not to picture her crying for the image is relatively foreign to me, but I think she would be crying out at the situation my selfish deeds have put us in.

I flinch and hold back another scream of pain as he begins fiddling with the nail inside my hand creating a bigger hole. I feel myself becoming light headed at the pain. I fight to keep my hand from moving knowing the slightest budge would be unbearable. 

I watch as he stands to go towards the door. He whispers some words to an unknown figure, and soon the sounds of screaming are gone. "See, I can be reasonable. Now," he states, but it's not to me. The door opens and someone enters with a bowl of water. I stare back trying to hide my confusion. "My Queen," he asks, and Francesa enters the room. A wicked smile never leaving her face. 

"Thank you. You may leave now." The Beast looks uncertain but follows orders. She looks down at my hand and the smirk widens. "Hmm, I've never been one for violence. My father uses to say a proper princess doesn't have time for such things. I would watch as the chosen men fought in the court yards, training, while I was drilled on Latin, arts, and eloquence. I was molded into the perfect princess; devoid of thought, and my father was proud," she let out a humorless laugh. "He could not see the pain, underneath that perfect smile. I wanted more. Imagine me, a princess wanting more. It's almost funny."

"So, you decided to take over another kingdom instead?" I spit, at her attempt for sympathy.

"I wanted to show everyone it could be done. I'm more than a mere princess. I am a conquer of Kingdoms, and a ruler of armies," she seemed to gleam with pride. 

I chuckle. "No, you are a destroyer of lives. The black plague on this kingdom," I intercede. "No one will follow you."

Her spiteful laugh pierces through the air, "Oh, dear naive Luca, they are following me. But I realize they would be less confused if they had a familiar face beside me."

"You're mad if you think I'm going to do anything, but kill you," I seethe. 

She smiles down at me, "Don't worry I expect this response from you, now. It will change soon enough. You should have seen how quick your precious pet was willing to accept the charges of your father's murder." I try to control my breathing for every move somehow inflames my hand even more. This is more than just a nail. My eyes travel to my hand, and I see dark purple lines clawing under my skin away from the pointed dagger. "I see you finally noticed. It's a powerful poison that will render the inhabiter paralyzed in a matter of minutes." 

"Why?" I ask.

"Because it makes the next part so much more fun," she whispers into my ear, before pulling away, and walking out the door. Only to be replaced by Beast. 

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +