Chapter 6 || Into Darkness

< - - - - - - - E m b e r - - - - - - - >

Whilst Ferbius is asleep, I sneak into his collection of herbs, and grab the Aconitum. I only recently learned of its existence, but I'm fairly certain it will do the trick. I create the concoction to bring the Prince back to health, before going to work, as Ferbius would believe. How am I suppose to somehow get to the Prince? He doesn't know where to find me. What if one of the guards stops me again? I'm holding potion bottles in my hand. I look like a bloody witch! 

As I draw closer to the Castle entrance, I see the floppy brown hair of Davis. He's conversing with one of the guards, his eyes meet mine just as I'm preparing to stop. "Awe, there you are," he announces there is urgency in his voice, and he gently takes me by the arm, before making his goodbye to the guards. "Do you have the-" he stops moving his hands to indicate the herbs. I nod lost in the confusion of this ruse, and it was my plan. "Great, Luca is in his chamber. You are going to help heal him," Davis winks, seeing a group of guards walking pass us. I tried not to be taken back by the formality in which Davis spoke of his Prince. To do so is treason, but he says it with such ease as though it were his only true way to talk of the Prince. 

"Uh, yes, I have them," I reply, playing along. 

Davis suddenly huffs, "Luca's right we need to work on your acting skills. This way," he indicates, holding open the door for me. I hadn't even realized we had gone through the twist and turns of the castle. I enter quickly, only to see a very shirtless Prince. I've seen naked men before, having lived and worked with a physicians does that to you, but the Prince is not ill or deathly. He is filled with life. His body is tanned, not from hours of hard labor, but training. The muscles of his well-defined torso are on display for me to see. And I notice a small trail of hair that goes from just above his belly button to the edge of his pants. I feel the heat rising in my cheeks as I try to focus on something else. My eyes are adverted to the jagged scar on his chest. What could have caused that? Before I can give it much thought, the Prince moves towards us.

"Thank the heavens! I was beginning to think you had fled," he sighed. Gee thanks, for the boost. I shoot him a look. Although, I had thought about doing just that a few times, through the night. I am loyal to my promises. 

"I gave you my word, so for the time being, I am helping you," I reply, trying to take as much venom out of my voice as possible. The last thing I want is another fight before he takes the herb.

He stops for a moment and crosses his arms, causing his skin to strain against the muscles in his upper arms and chest. I try to ignore the movement and focus instead on his eyes that have softened only slight. "You never seize to amaze, Ember." It was the first time he used my name, but I try not to show the surprise I felt. "Right, what am I to do?" He asks, waiting for my instruction. Put on a bloody shirt!

"Go lay in bed, for once I give you the herb it will take effect rather rapidly," I inform him, taking out the deadly plant.

"I thought you said I would be fine?" He questioned, appearing worried, which was a new look for him.

I try a new approach, as I've seen Ferbius use. With some of the patients, they require all the details in order to relax. Prince Luca seems to be one of those, which makes sense seeing as I'm sure he is used to having control. In order to do this, I need to use his name, so trying to show no hesitation I go against centuries of tradition and try to do as Davis does. "Luca," I begin softly. "I'm giving you a poison that can be very deadly if given too much. I will be giving you a small dose, which will initiate the symptoms I told you about last night. Then, Davis will run to get the King, who will see for himself how you are. As soon as, he is gone I will give you the antidote, which will take effect and cure you in an hour. You will be in pain before that though," I recited, giving him the full plan that I had concocted.