Chapter 5 || Being, So Difficult

< - - - - - L u c a - - - - - >

She had just yelled at my father, the King and didn't even seem to care. In one day she has made an enemy of not one but two of the royal court and one of them is the King! Is she the one with the death wish? I think back to what she told me in stables about a leader and the ferocity in her eyes as she fought with me just minutes ago, and decide someone with that much fire can't want that. No one has ever had the guts to speak to me in such a manner. 

I looked down at the ball of anger and now confusion draws her dark brows together. Being this close to her I realize once again how truly easily she can pass as sweet and delicate with her innocent green eyes, pouty lips, and naturally rosy cheeks against her porcelain skin, but I know the wiser. There is nothing sweet about the woman being blocked by Davis. "Escape?" She muttered, slowly as though I had just spoken in a foreign tongue.  

She wouldn't understand how badly I crave to leave everything around me behind, if only for a day. I need the sweet release of solitude, of the chance to be with my thoughts and enjoy some peace. If I were to tell my father this he would either force guards on me and any chance of being on my own disappears, or he would remind me that I am to be King and with that comes burdens I must learn to face. But I need this to be King. There is so much happening around me that is so far out of my control. Everything I thought I wanted and needed is within my grasps, but the means to get it is all wrong. I was to marry for love, and I have none for the woman I am to wed. 

No stable girl would understand the pressures of a Prince, she would most likely laugh or scuff at me if I were to voice them anyway, so I keep my mask of arrogance in place, having far more fun watching her reactions to it.

"I do believe the deal was no questions, and you agreed," I remind her with a slight shrug as I push Davis's hand away from my view of her. I see the annoyance clear on her face as she glares at me, and I have to fight not to smile. 

"You cornered me at that moment, and exploited the situation to get what you wanted," she fumed.

"Indeed, and you did the same when you took the deal. You needed my help and I gave it. Now it's only fitting that you do the same, stable girl." I smirk as I finish just watching her cheeks turn a soft red from her irritation. I feel as though if she were a kettle there would be steam coming out of her ears, and I try not to show my obvious amusement.  

She rolls her eyes at me again, before letting out a deep breath. "Just tell me why you need my help? What could the Prince of Irles possibly be escaping from?" she tries again, and I see that she has relaxed a little, but I want to see her anger flare once more before I get the chance to reply Davis interjects.

"That seems like a reasonable request," he admits, lowing his hands to face both of us in this negotiation, of sorts.  I give him a look of disdain, but he simply shakes his head at me. He must see how much I enjoy fighting with this unusual woman. 

"Fine," I sigh. "I need to get away from the castle for a day or so without alerting anyone of my absence," I relinquish the information, reluctantly. 

"Why don't you just tell your father you are leaving?" She questions, crossing her arms over her chest. There is no anger behind her words only curiosity, but it's as though it's my turn.

"If it was that easy do you think I would be asking the help of a stable girl?!" I snapped, not caring that my voice had raised significantly in the process.

"Listen, Princey," she demands, taking a step towards me, as Davis moves out of her path. "How about you just bring your father back in here, and change my sentence, I'd rather die than help your arrogant arse!" She shouts back at me, meeting my gaze directly. I take a step forward to meet her challenge, but once again Davis interjects.