Chapter 15 || Dragged By the Hounds of Hell

+ + + + + + + + + +

When we told her to get someone to provide evidence, we should have been more clear. We don't want a bloody mountain! The man, who appears to be well over my own head with arms three times that of mine, starts towards Conrad, James and I hiding in the forest trees awaiting his descent. I watch as Ember tries to break free with no avail. "Let go of me!" She cries, pushing and shoving at the man, but all attempts towards freedom have no effect on the beast.

"Woman like you need to be taught your place," the man shouts at her, and I grunt in anger at the force in which this man is treating her with.

But knowing Ember she can't let that fly, "Men like you need to be dragged by the hounds of hell and chained up like the vile creatures you are." Despite the situation unfolding, I smile at her words and hear light chuckles emitting from the other two. They are so close to where we can attack without notice. Come on. Just a little further. 

"That's it I was going to allow you some privacy, but why not let others watch. I'm sure your bother would like to keep watch over his little sister," he seethes. I see a flash of worry cross her features. Her soft brown eyes scan the forest as if looking for us. Can she see us? Does she know how close we are to her? 

"No, please," she whispers to the sick bastard. I watch as she stops pulling and shoving from him, and instead, her fingers intertwine with his and it seems as though she is pulling him. "I want you all to myself," she winks. Nicely done, Stable girl, I think, and just like that the man and she are in the forest. I make eye contact with the guys, and we begin to walk towards them. He is too big though, and Ember knows that. The only thing we have on our side is the element of surprise. "I thought you were going to teach me a lesson," she sighs into the man's ear. I nearly stop in my tracks at her words. 

The man is quick with his actions, soon Ember's back is thrown against a tree. "Feck," she calls, as her head hit with great force as well. Before the man can move to take her lips, I move in. James as his sword in hand, but with no intent to kill. Conrad and I move to his side, but before we can get much closer, Ember sees us, and brings her knee up swiftly, effectively bringing the giant to his knees. James takes the butt of the sword and hits him over the head.

"You boys took way too long!" She called, her hands moving to rub the back of her neck, and back. "That jackrabbit, ugh!" Conrad is the first to break, laughing loudly at the woman before us.

"If he wasn't such an ass, I'd almost feel sorry for him. That is not an easy spot to recover from," James grimaces.

I move towards a wincing Ember. "Are you okay?" Her eyes close, and she releases a loud sigh, before nodding. 

"We have the evidence needed to save the kingdom," she smiled. She took a step forward but seemed to be unsteady with her steps. 

"Ember?" I ask, and she lightly shakes her head, but when her eyes open again they seem unfocused, and her body is lightly swaying. "What's going on?"

"It's my head." She begins, taking a deep breath, "I hit my head against the trunk of the tree. I just need to sit down, and stop this dizzy spell," she adds, and she does, right on the twigs and pine. Her eyes start to get heavy, but she looks up at me frantically. "Don't let me fall asleep."

I turn to Conrad and James, who seem just fine with me giving them the job of finding a way to tow our newest captive onto the horses. "Alright, Ember. Can you tell me why?"

"I've read cases of people with head injuries falling asleep and never waking. I don't want to be the next one," she says. It makes perfect sense when put that way. But when does the time end? Can she ever sleep again? That was a dumb question. 

"Well, then come on. Let's get you moving," I instruct, helping her up off the ground. She seems reluctant, but eventually, she is up. I gently, place my arm around her waist, supporting her on our trip through the forest to our horses. The men placed the new addition on the back of Delc, Ember's horse. I help balance her onto the Frea, and climb on after. She starts off by keeping her distance, but soon enough I feel her cheek resting against my back. "Ember," I jostle her. "Stay awake," I order gently. 

She quickly moves. "Yes, I'm awake. Tell me something interesting to keep me up," she tires.

"What?" I ask curiously as to what would keep her captivated enough to avoid the sleep she so desperately craved. I felt her shrug. Before I heard a faint whisper about my mother, the queen. 

"Uh, she was not like others," I state fondly.

"I know the legend, tell me of the woman," she interjected with a bit more force. I can't help the small chuckle that escapes my chapped lips.

I think of my mother, her long locks of gold, her kind blue eyes that held a ferocity unmatched, and her gentle smile that held secrets and love. Her marriage to my father was arranged to for treaties, but she promised me she loved my father. I did not believe it. Even though I was young, I could see the well-crafted lie she had woven to protect the kingdom. She would never tell a soul how truly unhappy my father made her. He tried to break her at every turn, but my mother prevailed. 

"She was born to the wealthy King of Aurum. But she was a daughter, and the Kingdom did not believe she could rule, so at first sight of a treaty to strengthen alliances, my grandfather took it without hesitation. My mother and father were wed a month later," I stated, hoping that was new information, but knowing it would not suffice the curious mind of Ember. She let out a yawn that blew into my ear, the sensation was unlike any I had experienced, but I ignored it, focusing on the story. "Am I boring you, Stable girl?" I ask hoping my remarks would light her enough to keep her eyes from closing.

I felt her head lift, from my back, "As a matter of fact, Princey, you are."

I roll my eyes at the pet name and chuckle lightly at the blunt comment I had been anticipating. "Well, in that case, let me just tell you about all the dark secrets of my family," I state.

I could practically feel her interest, oozing off of her. "Really?!"

I laugh loudly at her reaction. "My family is relatively boring," I lied. I know there are well-kept secrets even from me. I never saw my mother when she died, I was told it was the plague and that I could not be around her in fear of me getting it too. But it seemed too sudden and no one else was affected. I had been trying to piece that together since the day I was told she was no longer with us. 

"I don't believe that," Ember hinted, but the conversation dropped. I became lost in thought. My mother acted so strange the last month she was healthy. I wish I knew what she was hiding. It must be the answer to what really happened to her. I had once tried to ask my father, but he dismissed it as an overactive imagination of a child and had me train until my hands bleed from holding the wooden sword and my limbs were sore from blocking every attack. I shake my head trying to repress the memory of me becoming a king. I listen to the sounds of birds chirping and revel in the warmth of Ember's embrace if only to keep her own body on the horse. Wait. Ember. "Ember," I call to her, giving her but a moment to respond. I hear nothing. 

"What is it?" James shouts to me up ahead, hearing my panic. I pull her from behind me and into my lap.

"Ember, wake up!" I shout at her peaceful face, but she merely twitches her button nose. "Ember," I try again, snapping and whistling. Nothing. Becoming more worried with each passing second of me not hearing her irritating voice, I lightly slap her cheeks, but only receive rosy cheeks in response. "She's not waking up. "

+ + + + + + + + + +