Chapter 26|| No Longer A Prince

+ + + + + + +

There are at least thirty men standing before us. Surrounding us is the proper word actually. Conrad and James became on high alert. I was wary of Travis, but if he is willing to help us. Then we can use all the help we can get and with these numbers, we might just stand a chance. "Who are you?" Luca tries again and I can practically hear the frustration in his voice.

"Travis of Harendall. I am a traveler, as are my men. We have never known a home, but the forest of Irles is as close as it comes. So, we will fight under her command," he adds firmly and I am taken back again. I don't even know this man and have tried to kill him on both encounters. 

"Where does your loyalty come from?" Luca asks not putting his guard down just yet. Conrad and James have taken to my side now. 

Travis chuckles at the question, "You know nothing of our kind. We protect ours," he states, and I am confused by his statement. "She is a daughter of Haerendall."

Haerendall is a neighboring island that hasn't been heard from in centuries. The water people are said to be savage. I could not be one of them. My parents were kind and gentle. They would not be associated with such lots even in death.

"Speak not of me. You know nothing, Traveler," I state. Travis bows his head as if showing respect for my wishes, but I do not want it. "Stand straight. I am not of nobility."

"Awe, you have been kept in the dark, my lady. I shall follow your wishes, but know this my men and I only fight beside you because of your worthy abilities as I have been on the better end of twice as of late. Whether you chose to accept it or not you are a daughter of Haerendall and it will be your people, who save your new found kingdom." 

I try to hold my tongue for it seemed right after he spoke such words with a pure sentiment. I could feel that he meant each one, and that frightened me. "We will resume in the morn," I state and try to leave the subtle question out of my voice. Inquiring if this Travis will still be there. He gives a gentle nod. I turn helping Luca back to the house, but we are blocked by men in armor. "Move," I huff, but add more gently, "please."

Once we are all finally in the scanty of my parent's house, Ferbius comes towards us. "What was that out there?"

"Am I of Haerendall?" I ask and he is stopped in his tracks. Oh hell! I shake my head. "Forget it, I don't want to know. We have the numbers necessary to get that demon out, we plan in the morn. Good night," I reply not waiting for him to respond. There is too much happening around me. 

Ferbius comes towards me as though needing to say something, but to my surprise, Luca stops him. "She has said her peace for tonight. Everything will be continued in the morn. Get whatever sleep you can manage, and thank you," he adds. I know he is referring to the fact that Ferbius saved his life. 

I just want to sleep and try to forget the world for a moment. Is that possible? When everything is falling apart can you escape? Luca's words from when he first mentioned his escape come to me and I finally understand why he wanted to leave for those few days. Why he just didn't want to be himself for only a moment. 

"Don't think about it," Luca whispers into my ear, just loud enough for only I to hear. "Come," he adds, pulling me towards a small corner that is unoccupied. I did not see James or Conrad, so they must be keeping watch. I would too if so many Haerendall men lurked outside my home. The stories of them are horrible. I can't be one of them.  

Luca sat carefully on the ground leaning his head against the wall trying to get comfortable. I think back to his first night in this house, complaining about the bed's softness, and now he's finding ease on a hard floor. He beckoned me to join him with a slight tug of my hand. Leaning my head against his shoulder I find comfort in snuggling into his warmth. He drapes a protective arm around me, as though he could keep who I am from me.

How did this happen? I hated him only days ago and now he's the only person I can look too. How did this arrogant prat become gentle and brave? I let out a sigh and I try to let sleep come, but alas the thoughts of how we are going to take the kingdom back, my possible savage people, Luca's safety, and so on begin racing through my head, and I'm finding it hard to turn off. It's as if my brain would like to solve all the problems at this exact moment.

"Shh, my little spark, the problems of today will still be there tomorrow." For some reason, I take comfort in that, and I feel my mind trying to welcome the sleep that is alas coming my way. Luca traces soothing circles into my back and soon my thoughts are consumed with only that alone. 

I woke the next morn to the sounds of yelling, but upon further inspection, it was rather arguing. "Our people have the right to see her."

"You have no right to see anyone in this house. Leave you piece of Haer-" Luca begins, but stops short. I opened my eyes to see Conrad and James holding back a pissed off Luca as Travis sizes him up in the door way.

"Careful, boy. You won't want any army of men to reign down on a single thatch house, would you? " Travis replies with equal aggression, as he moves one more foot inside.

"Leave at once," Luca orders, but Travis just laughs.

"You are no longer, Prince of Irales. Your words fall on deaf ears," Travis shots back calmly. 

I groan. "Will both of you shut up!" I exclaim. Luca straightens up and tries to pull his composure back together again.

Travis tries to take that as permission to enter, but I stop him with a mere glare. Then, the whole house goes quiet as a soft call from the Kings' lips is echoes through the walls. "My son."

+ + + + + + +