Chapter 19

If you are going through a tough time in life, just keep in mind that bad times pass and stay patient. Allah is indeed with the patient. Make lots of dua for yourself and everyone else and don't forget me either! Allah accepts dua made by the sincere heart and why wouldn't He when He Himself promised that we should ask Him and He would grant it to us when the time is good.

Remember even if your dua isn't accepted in this world for whatever reason, it is not wasted. Allah will reward you for it on the Day of Judgement so no harm done right?

Don't despair or lose hope because that is a sin and enjoy reading....

***

"Mama come on lets go. I'm ready." Zayan said as he entered his mother's room. He had told her that he wanted to marry Maya last night. She had been so happy that he was moving on that he felt very bad lying to her. He almost told her everything but he didn't want more tensions for her. She didn't want her to be worried for Areesha as well. 

"Aren't you a little to excited to go?" His mother said to him as she wrapped a dupatta around her head.

Zayan averted his gaze from her. He feared that she would see the lie in his eyes. For going for a wedding proposal, he felt hollow, with no happiness or excitement all. He reminded himself that this was temporary and he wouldn't actually marry her.

"Oh now my son is blushing!" She said as he didn't meet her eye.

"Ma!" He groaned.

"Ok ok I'm coming. No need to get so impatient." She said shaking her head as she grabbed her bag from the bed.

After half an hour of surviving through his mother's comments of having grandchildren soon he parked the car outside the house and rang the bell. 

Oddly it didn't hurt him to think of his own children. He actually liked the idea. It would be nice for once to have children to love and pamper. Leya loved children too. His heart ached when he thought about her and how he was going to propose another girl. He knew she would be very happy. One of the last things she had said to him was that he would move on. He had promised her that he would move on. But he couldn't. He hoped one day he would be able to.

It wasn't like he was really going to marry Maya though. He was sure that Maya would reject the proposal so he was not worried. He didn't want to marry her mainly beacuse he knew it would be very unfair for any girl that he still loved Leya.

Areesha came outside as they entered the house.

She didn't ask any questions as to why they were here and he was thankful for that. She probably did have some idea about it though.

She led them to the drawing room after exchanging a long greeting with them.

"Where's Fawad?" Zayan asked her.

"He is not at home right now." She said to him and he nodded.

"I think Uzair woke up. Let me just go check up on him." She said.

"Wait I'm coming with you." He said and followed her out.

Once they were in the confines of her room, Areesha raised an eyebrow at him as she rocked a crying Uzair to lull him to sleep.

"Is Fawad treating you well?" Zayan asked her without beating around the bush.

"Yes he is." She repied curtly. "We have been married for more than a whole year and you still don't trust him?"

"Areesha its not that and you know it. Please don't hide anything from me." He pleaded.

"Zayan I don't know whats going on between the two of you but whatever it is sort it out. I don't appreciate my husband and brother glaring at each other all the time."

"He is not even ready to listen to me." He muttered as Uzair started crying again as Areesha tried to lay him on the bed.

"Would you listen to anyone had you been in his place?" She asked him.

He looked up at her surprised. What did she know?

"Areesha-" he started but she cut him off.

"Zayan. Look, I know you. I know that you would never indulge in a haram relationship but Fawad doesn't. Seriously Maya is a very nice girl and she really will complement you." She said as she carefully put Uzair on the bed and put pillows around him.

He sighed and averted his gaze to the baby. 

"He's sleeping?" He asked wanting to change the topic. 

"Yeah he had a slight fever in the morning so he was crying a lot."

"Did you see a doctor?" He frowned as he caressed Uzair's soft hands.

"Maya told me the medcines. He will be fine inshallah." 

Zayan bent down and kissed his head making sure not to wake him up.

"Careful." Areesha muttered beside him.

"He's giving you a hard time huh?" He smiled staring at the chubby baby sleeping peacefully with no care in the world.

"He kept us awake the whole night. Fawad had a meeting so he had to leave. He is not even eating anything. Times like these I realize how much Mama did for us. Now I understand the actual meaning of being a mother." She said and Zayan realized the weight of her words. He really owed a lot to his mother. Even though she wasn't his biological mother she had loved him like one. Sometimes he did feel that she favored Areesha over him but now he was over that nonsense. Now he felt like it was very immature of him to think like that. Even if she did favor Areesha over him, it was natural. It wasn't a big deal. Losing Leya so early had taught him so much. You should appreciate whatever you are blessed with before you lose that too. He had learned that his fate was unpredictable and he shouldn't let such petty issues disturb him.

"Let's go and see what the elders are up to." Areesha said and Zayan followed him out, still lost in his thoughts.

As they were about to enter the drawing room, Zayan caught a few words of their conversation.

"We wouldn't be able to get anyone like Zayan for our Maya. Fawad told me about it, he will be very happy too." Areesha's mother-in-law was saying.

What? What was going on?

Before he could think any further, Areesha pulled him inside.

"Why were you hiding like a shy bride huh?" Auntie teased as she spotted him.

So his mother had talked about the proposal.

"Areesha beta ask the driver to get mithai and call Fawad too." Areesha's father-in-law said to her.

"What?" Zayan asked confused. Had they agreed already?

"Its a yes from our side beta." Auntie said patting his shoulder fondly.

"Did you ask Maya?" He asked her cautiously.

"You already care about her so much?" Auntie said with a teasing note in her voice.

They were talking about her daughter for goodness sake!

"Its a yes from her too." She said and his eyes widened.

What?

"Where is she?" He asked. She could never have said yes. Nothing was going according to his plans. Had they even asked her?

"She is coming." Auntie replied with happiness radiating off her.

"Assalam-o-Alaikum." Zayan turned to see Fawad standing in the doorway. He went and greeted his mother and stiffly shook his hand with him.

"I'll go bring Maya." Areesha said.

"No,  you stay here. I'll go and call her." Fawad muttered and left the room.

Zayan watched them like a hawk to see if there was any tension between them but he couldn't make out anything. 

***

More drama to come! So stay tuned...