z e r o ;

[ august 31st, 1971 ]

Octavia dropped the clothes she had just folded, ready to pack as she heard her name being called from downstairs. She walked, almost ran to her mother on the other side of her mansion to avoid angering her.

See, Octavia came from a long line of pure-bloods. Her family prided themselves on it, and only spoke highly of themselves or other pure-blooded families. Her mother especially focused on her family tree, never witnessing one disgrace or blood-traitor in her life time, or heard about one in generations before her. She would constantly brag about this to other families we associated with, and acted so appalled whenever someone even mentioned associating with mudbloods or half-bloods.

They were typical; rude, arrogant, cocky and of course, worshipers of the Dark Lord. Ever since Octavia was little they talked about him non-stop. Her mother would always talk about how excited she was for Octavia to 'come of age' and receive the dark mark just like herself and her husband. Her father was different though, he was proud of his ways and his family, too, but something in Octavia felt as though he didn't want the same for her. Maybe it was the look in his eyes whenever her mother talked about his daughter's future or the way his adam's apple seemed to pop out slightly when she asked him something about the Dark Lord. Nevertheless, he smiled through it and quickly continued on about how great she will be once she's placed into Slytherin.

That being said, explains why the Knight household isn't what you'd describe as picture perfect. Octavia doesn't care about their sacred line of pure-bloods, she doesn't care about blood status and she certainly doesn't care about the Dark Lord. Her mother, terrified at the thought of her becoming a blood-traitor had punished her every time she put one toe out of line. The word 'crucio' was almost as common to Mrs Knight as the term 'you're a disgrace' is to Octavia.

"Yes, mother?" The young girl asked, stopping in front of her mother and nervously playing with her hands behind her back.

She looked at her daughter directly in the eyes and Octavia could almost see the sides of her lips turn upwards, "Now, when you're sorted into Slytherin tomorrow, I expected you to associate with no one other than the Black, Malfoy, Crouch or Lestrange family. Got it?" Octavia timidly nodded her head, not in the mood for a punishment so close to the day she left her wretched family. "Good, now go to bed. You need to rest up, tomorrow is the start of a whole new life for you."

Octavia excused herself and ran back to her room. Tomorrow was the day she could finally say goodbye...

► ▷

Octavia Knight; Marie Avgeropoulos