t h i r t e e n;

[ october 31st, 1976 ]

"And you two are sure that they're all dressing as princesses?" Remus checked, an unsure looked on his face.

"Well we know Alice is, and those girls do everything together. So they must be all going as princesses." Sirius said to his mates, an accomplished look on his face.

"Yep, what an overwhelmingly assuring piece of data. You won me over there." Remus said sarcastically as they walked up to the counter of the shop in Hogsmeade. It was a weekday, just a few hours before the ball. Everyone was in class but the boys decided to go to Hogsmeade and get costumes. All four of them bought prince outfits, trying to fit in with the girls without telling them. They even gave Frank Longbottom a heads up.

"Well Remus, if worse comes to worst then we'll just be four, extremely hot princes escorting four extremely hot girls to a ball. There's nothing bad about that." They all nodded and paid for their costumes. 

While Lily was asking Remus to be her date last night, Mary saw the opportunity to ask Peter. Both boys happily agreed and now both groups of friends all had dates. They made their way back to the castle and it seemed that God was in their favor - as there was no run in with either filch or Mrs Norris. The boys all hunched around the fire in the common room and discussed the night ahead of them.

Sirius and James particularly, as they wanted to woo Marlene and Octavia as best they could.

  ► ▷ 

The bells rang, signally the end of the last class of the day. Octavia was worried. The boys hadn't shown up to any of the classes they had today. But even that constant panic couldn't stop her from the excitement for that night. It was only a couple of hours away now and the whole school was practically shaking. She picked up her text books and walked out of Charms. In the hallway she bumped into Mary and they walked together back to the dorm, meeting the other three girls there.

They chatted for a bit and before too long they couldn't hold back their excitement. They began on their makeup, each doing their own on top of their beds. The made small talk here and there, but not too much as each girl was in deep concentration.