chapter eighteen.

The next morning I woke up and Austin wasn't next to me. I remembered our fight, and I got up. Oreo was asking to go out, and I needed to run.

   "Aunt Lisa?"

   "What's up, hun?" Aunt Lisa asked, smiling.

   "If anyone asks, I'm taking Oreo for a walk."

   She hugged me. "Alright. See you soon."

   I stepped out into the warm San Antonio air and looked down the street. Austin, Zach, Alex, Robert, and Rylie were walking back with basketballs. Oreo bounced at the sight of Austin, and I got butterflies again.

   "Hey babe." he said, kissing me.

   "Hi." I said, not sure what had just happened.

   "Where ya goin'?" Rylie asked.

   "Taking Oreo for a jog. I'll be back soon." I said, turning the other direction.

   "Baeley wait and I'll come with you." Austin spoke up.

   "No, it's fine. Just stay here and hang out with them. I'll be fine."

   I was slipping back into depression, and even I could tell. They all watched as I called to Oreo and we picked up a jog. I let the tears fall because nobody was there to tell me not to, and I knew then that if I had the means, I would cut.

   "Babe stop." I heard Austin say five minutes later.

   He'd caught up to me, and I slowed to a walk.

   "What's wrong. Don't tell me nothing either."

   "It's really complicated, truthfully. I'm slipping back into depression and I try to stop myself, but we've been fighting and that makes it worse. I just... I have no feelings anymore. I love you, yes, but I just don't know what to do to keep you from worrying about me."

   "I'm obviously going to worry. Because you... you're my world. My life. My love. My everything. I'm supposed to worry. I'm supposed to prevent shit like this from happening but look, you're bawling and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I love you, babe, more than anything in this world. I know we fought last night but... I'm just stressed and I'm scared that you're going to cut again, and I can't let that happen. I'm not allowing you to be how you were before. I love you too much for that, and I don't care what it takes, you're not going to cut. Ever again." he said.

   "You're... babe stop. I didn't say I was going to cut."

   Austin looked down at me. "But we know what happens when you get like this."

   "Didn't I promise you?"

   He ran his hand through his hair. "Yeah, but... Baeley I just..." he sighed. "I don't want to see you cry anymore."

   I looked at him. "Austin. We've been through hell. But we also have had some really good times. And I'm only crying because it's hard."

   "I knew I shouldn't have dragged you into this life..." he said, turning away.

   "Come here baby." I said, taking him into my arms.

   His arms protectively wrapped around my waist and I breathed in his smell.

   "Oreo you're not helping." Austin laughed as Oreo attempted to climb up his leg. 

   He didn't let go, and it felt really good.

   "Baels?" he said.

   I looked up at him. "Yes?"

   "Have I told you that I love you?"

   I smiled. "Every day since the day we met, yes, you have."

   He kissed me really passionately and I kissed him back, but we were interrupted by Oreo.

   "I think we should head back." he said, taking my hand.

   Cops were surrounding the house when we came into view.