Sweet Dreams

Grover

Luke didn't show for breakfast. Which was kind of worrying.

"He's just asleep, I stopped by because I was running late." Percy assured me that he's fine. "I mean, yeah, he had a solid 15 minutes of pure shit last night after I found him. Took me ten minutes to find him."

"Yeah," I reason," according to Tyler, they have the same name. It's the same guy. If you like didn't figure that out."

"No, I know." He promised. "He told me about it once before. You guys knew, right?"

"No..." I was kind of offended by that. That Luke would tell Percy but nobody else. Neither of Annabeth nor Thalia even knew about his fucking... Whatever he is. But Percy knew. That seemed kind of rude in my opinion. "None of us knew. We were all under the perception that he was as straight as it gets and whatever. Never said anything."

"Oh..." Percy realized that that seemed kind of off. "Well I mean it wasn't intentional that he told me, though. It wasn't out of nowhere, I brought up the subject of... I think he asked me if I was dating Annabeth and from there it warped into... That. It wasn't a very fun conversation. And I mean, it makes sense when you consider him. "

"Yeah" I agreed to that. "Still pissed you got him to tell you and not us."

"Sorry."Percy defended himself. "He got old shit out of me. I dug out shit out of him. It was only fair. Did you know he actually thought that I was passing classes with A's and B's?"

"Isn't that what you told Annabeth."

"To get her off of my case, yes."

"So you lied to her,"that made no sense. She was willing to tutor him for free for as long as he needed it until he understood everything with good grades. He told her he was getting mostly B's and had like two A's.

"Yeah?"

"Dude, she was a free tutor." I insisted. "What grades do you get?"

He opened his mouth for a moment and shut it.

"D's. If I'm lucky, a C-."

"What!?" I insisted. You don't just throw a tutor out with those grades. A free one! The smartest friend he has! "Dude, why would you tell her you're getting A's and B's then?"

"To get her to back off, I already said that."

I was pushing one of his buttons that I've never touched before. I didn't even know it was there, and I'm guilty of being curious about this was about. I thought he was doing really good in school for once because of the help. Not telling Annabeth one thing and then having the opposite actually go on.

"She was a free tutor!" I kept on persisting, trying to get that through his head. "Why on Earth would you want her to back off of trying to make you smarter? That's—"

I never finished my statement.

"Because I knew no matter what she did, it'd never help me!" Percy snapped at me and it was a wrecking ball broke something, I clicked the button. And he wasn't happy about it. "And you want to know why, Grover? Because I'm a fucking idiot! You went to school with me, you know it! I can't read, I can't do math because the numbers get mixed up and I get so dam confused half of the time that I'm still taking a fucking like 8th grade math class that I can't pass! Okay... It doesn't help anything to be tutored when you know it's useless. I have my own problems to deal with, I don't want to worry about being tutored and passing my classes. I want to worry about the fact that I just..."

He kind of paused.

"I gotta go."

And he just walked away. I would've gone after him, but I know Percy, and he's stubborn. He wouldn't stop. He wouldn't stop to listen to me.