00. Prologue

And just like that she decided to run away from her life. She escaped the many mistakes she did and yet nothing made her feel safe.

 I sighed as I read the last sentence on the page. I had read that book many times before that I already knew how it ended. Cecilia ran away from her life like she dreamt of throughout the story. 

 "Calli, laundry's ready." I looked up from the book and shut it. My mom stood by the door waiting for an answer.

"I'll be there." She nodded and walked away. 

 My mom had divorced my father after he got his big break at a company across the country. He left the three of us behind, taking almost everything we had with him. The three of us being my mother, my little sister Alejandra and me, Callie. After my dad left, we had to move as in my mom couldn't afford the rent back in San Antonio. We ended up in El Paso. El Paso was the most dangerous town in Texas. I still didn't get why we had to move here.

I left my book on top of my bed and grabbed the basket by the door. I was used to this routine considering Alejandra still didn't know how to do her laundry. She was only ten years old. She was a very smart kid for her age too. She knew many things I didn't. All she did was go to school, sleep, and watch cartoons. I could hear her telling mom how excited she was for school tomorrow. I wish I could be her.

 I made my way to the basement. I hummed one if the many songs I've learned by heart. Drunk by Ed Sheeran ran through my mind all day. The lyrics. The way he portrayed the whole getting drunk through his voice was probably the real reason people got drunk. They want to forget. I finally arrived at the basement and placed the basket on top of the dryer. I was about to bent down when I heard some rustling behind me. I quickly stood straight. Maybe I was going paranoid. I turned around and looked around the basement. That's when I noticed the door that led outside was open. I furrowed my eyebrows trying to think why it was open. I didn't remember opening it and mom didn't use it for any purposes. I walked up the few stairs and shut the door before locking it. 

 I got the clothes out and place them inside the basket. I shut the dryer and went to grab the basket. As I was about to grab it, the sound from before was heard again. I stopped my actions and turned around. It was kind of dark. I couldn't see much and I wasn't planning on forcing my sight to see whatever it was. I let it go and grabbed my basket to head upstairs. 

CHAPTER ONE IS UP NEXT. PLEASE COMMENT OR VOTE IF YOU LIKE!