02. "Who are you?"

The next morning I woke up early as usual. I walked over to the closet. I stared at it for a while before grabbing a pair of black leggings and an oversized crewneck shirt. 

"Callie?" I turned around to see Alejandra standing by the door. "I'm ready for school."

"I'll get ready and we can go." She nodded and left. I could hear her footsteps down the hall. I noticed I had a missing sock. Groaning, I headed downstairs to the basement.

"Alejandra!" I heard her footsteps come down the stairs. I looked at the mess in our basement.

"What?" She stood at the end of the stairs. I placed my hand on my hips and gave her an obvious stare. "I didn't do it."

"Then who did? Because we don't have a dog." She crossed her arms in front of her chest. "Okay. You know what? I'll clean it up later."

"Yeah." I shook my head trying not to laugh. I walked over to her and motioned for her to go back upstairs.

"Let's go." She pouted and made her way up the stairs. I followed behind her, trying to figure out a way to clean the mess in the basement. 

After we ate breakfast, Alejandra and I left mom alone in the house. Sometimes I was scared for mom. Every day we would hear a loud bang meaning the gangs were rivaling against each other. I was thankful that one day after we moved here, Leonardo, the gang leader stopped by to introduce himself. He said he was going to make sure no one got near the house because we were more than neighbors. We were all family and no one deserved to be hurt. Leonardo was like a big brother. But I didn't get to see him so often. It had been two years since we moved. He's been my brother and best friend for those two years.

"Hey ladies!" I looked at the road to see Leonardo's old mustang and his head sneaking out the window.

"Hey Leonardo! What are you doing here?" He shrugged. He kept driving as Ale and I walked along the sidewalk.

"Just checking up on you." I chuckled. I looked at my little sister and she was smiling at Leo. "Everything okay?"

"Everything's okay. We're always at home. You should stop by soon." He nodded with a smile on his face. 

"I have to go. Keep an eye open!" We nodded and waved him off. 

Like every morning I dropped Alejandra at school and walked two more blocks to get to mine. My school wasn't the best but it was school. I learned what I needed to learn. I had one friend to say the least. Her name is Victoria. 

Victoria Martinez was your typical bad girl. She was always getting in trouble but she was my only friend so I supported her. I even got in trouble once for trying to help her. Let's say it didn't end so well. I also got detention once because of a fight she had with Kayla, the popular girl. I guess you could say we were partners in crime. She knew Leonardo too. She had a liking for him. She never mentioned it but I wasn't stupid. I knew things about her.

"Callie!" I looked up from the floor to see Victoria's friend Marcus running over. "Victoria is fighting again!"

"What?" I threw my backpack on the floor and I ran down the hall. I turned left and noticed the big crowd of people. "She's so going to pay for this."

I made my way through the crowd trying to get to Victoria. I pushed almost everyone out of the way and finally reached the so called ring people had formed around Tori and her opponent. She was hovering over Kayla and I quickly ran over to them. I began pulling her away from the school's bitch.

"Tori let go!" I tried yanking her arm away from Kayla. She had enough trouble already and this could be worse. "Tori!"

"Leave them alone!" I felt someone grab my shirt and pull me up.