08. "I was the one who started this."

A week later, I found myself sitting in Math taking a test. I wasn’t very good at math but I tried my best every time. At least that was the last class of the day. I was thankful for it being Thursday. I loved Thursdays simply because it was before Friday.

“Alright so we’re still going to the movies today?” I turned to look at Tori who walked beside me along with Marcus.

“Sure! I just have to see if Margarita can take care of Ale.” They nodded. We got out of school and hopped in Tori’s Volvo. She loved that car more than anything; especially since her grandma lend it to her.

On our way home, we cracked a few jokes. We also came up with an idea for our chemistry project. We always worked together and got Bs. We stopped by Alejandra’s school to pick her up. She was really excited to see Marcus with us. She loved playing with him considering he made magic tricks to entertain her.

“Emily tried doing a split and her pants ripped.” We laughed at Ale’s new story. She always had a story to tell about school.

“You helped her, right?” I didn’t look at her, hoping she would tell the truth but she kept quiet. “You didn’t?”

“I was laughing.” I shook my head in disapproval. “But I let her borrow my pants later.”

“Then you helped her.” We all laughed and listened to the music on the radio. I was about to say something when the Volvo came to a halt. The seat belt almost chocked me as I went forward. “What are you doing?”

“Your mom is home.” I looked at Tori and then at the house. Mom’s van was parked in the driveway.

“Oh no. Park the Volvo!” Tori did as I told her and I quickly got out of the car. Mom wasn’t supposed to be home before dinner time. I opened the front door and stepped into the house. “Mom?”

“In the kitchen.” By her tone, I knew something was wrong. Please don’t let it be Austin! I slowly walked to the kitchen. I took a deep breath and turned down the hall to see my mom standing by the stove and someone sitting on the stool. “Hey sweetheart, have you met Austin?”

“Uh, Austin?” She nodded. I watched carefully as he turned around. Why he was smiling? I looked away from him to look at mom. “Mom, I can explain.”

“No need to. Austin already explained.” I looked down at my shoes trying to hide the embarrassment written all over my face. “You’ll be calling his family tonight.”

“Hey mommy!” Ale stood beside me. Her happiness turned into sadness once she saw the scene in front of us. “Uh oh.”

“Did someone else know about this Callie?” I rubbed the back of my head as Tori and Marcus entered the kitchen behind me.

“Tori knows.” My mom crossed her arms in front of her chest and glared at me.

“You’re all in trouble. Except Marcus and Austin.” I looked down at Ale. A pout formed on her lips while looking at mom.

“It’s my entire fault mom. I was the one who started this.” She looked down at her feet before looking up.

“You kids go to the living room. Callie and Austin will stay here.” I turned around to watch my friends and my little sister leave the kitchen. This was going to be a long talk.

*

“So he’s been here for almost two months?” I nodded without looking at my mom. After explaining the reason as to why Austin was in our basement she was determinate to get her answers. “Why didn’t you say anything? I could’ve helped.”

“I didn’t know he was there until he came out and some boxes fell. What if you freaked out?” I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to look at Austin.

“It’s not your fault Callie.” I shook my head and turned away.

“Austin, where did you get that wound on your head?” It was silent for a second before Austin answered.

“I don’t know. Maybe I hit my head with something.” I turned to look at my mom. She nodded and looked at me.

“Do you have something to say for yourself?” I looked at Austin. He was staring back at me with what seemed to be happiness. Why was he happy? I turned to look at mom and sighed.

“It was for a good cause. He was scared when I found him.” She nodded and leant against the island of our kitchen. She stared between me and Austin for a while. “What?”

“Nothing. I was just thinking about something Austin mentioned earlier.” She shook her head and stood up straight. “Austin?”

“Yes?” His voice sounded curious. I didn’t want my mom to kick him out so I crossed my fingers and covered them with my other hand.

“Would you like to go home?” I turned to look at him. He kept quiet and looked down at his lap in thought.

“I don’t want Jessica to hate me. She was mad the last time I called her.” I furrowed my eyebrows as I watched Austin. He was starting to bounce his knee. He was anxious. “She’s always been like that.”

I noticed how his knee began to quicken as it bounced. What the heck was wrong with him? His right hand went to his mouth where he began to bite his nails. I looked at my mom who was still paying attention to Austin. My mom was a nurse and she couldn’t notice that Austin was nervous? I reached out my hand and placed it on his shoulder. I noticed how his knee stopped bouncing. He turned to look at me with confusion all over his face.

“Go with Ale and Tori. Mom and I have to talk.” He nodded and jumped off the stool. Once he was out of my sight I turned to look at my mom. “Mom’s there something wrong with Austin.”

“What do you think is wrong?” I sighed.

“He’s scared mom. The only things he remembers are his family, friends and that girl Jessica. He doesn’t remember being famous.” My mom raised an eyebrow. I might’ve forgotten that part. “He’s famous, like Japan famous.”

“Really?” I nodded. “That means they’ve must be looking for him, right?”

“Yes.” My mom’s eyes widened in surprise. I gave her and apologetic look.

“Oh Callie!” I looked down at the wood underneath my arms. I took a deep breath and let it out. A sob escaped my lips. Was I crying? “Sweetheart don’t cry.”

“He’s been here this whole time. I didn’t mean to keep him away from his old life.” I felt a pair of arms around me and sobbed even more. “He wants to be safe mom.”

“It’s okay baby. We’ll explain everything to his family.” I nodded. My mom let go off me and wiped my cheeks. “Go hang with your friends.”

“Thanks mom.” She kissed my forehead and turned around to walk away. “Should I call today?”

“If he wants to.” I nodded. My mom left the kitchen, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

I knew deep down that this day would come. My mom had found Austin in the basement while he was playing with an old basketball and somehow he managed to explain the reason he was there. It took a while to explain mom why I kept it a secret. She wasn’t mad. She was just confused as to why I didn’t bother to tell her. I know I should’ve but what if she freaked out and kicked him out? I decided to make up my mind.

It was time.