birthday blues

1 month later

Aisling's POV
"Please turn it down, will you?" Emmett growls from the backseat.

Pleased I've managed to annoy him, I turn the volume to 'Sorry' even louder.

"This is not even music." He mutters.

"Yes this is. Pop, to be precise. By my boy, JB." I argue, singing along.

Rose beside me, chuckles at our petty fight.

Rare moments where I get to drive on a family trip. Only because my birthday's today.

We're headed back home after spending a week at a resort Alice found while hunting.
This trip was supposed to 'take my mind off things'. Carlisle's words. Not mine.

As we drive by the woods, I get reminded of La Push. Everything reminds me of him. Pathetic as we only dated for only a few days. Something about him keeps me going back to him.

'The top news we have for Forks this week is the finding of missing people after a week. More than 10 people of this area had been reported to be missing. The missing people were found dead, lying buried in a ditch near the Forks station. The cause of the murder is said to be loss of blood. Efforts were taken to conceal the dead bodies. The investigation is on-going. Police believes this could be either be the work of a serial killer or a gang. The reason is still unknown as the victims vary from kids as young as 8 years to adults as old as 68.' The T.V. blares the news.

"Vamps?" Jasper asks.

"Probably. Loss of blood. They disposed the body carefully. They took effort and time to do this." Carlisle says.

"Aren't they supposed to know we own this territory?" Rosalie, looking as perfect as ever, sits next to Emmett.

"Ignorance." Emmett puts his arm around Rosalie.

"They must be aware of the Volturi as they hid the bodies." Edward speaks. The word itself sends chills up my spine.

"Who's the Volturi?" Bella questions.

"The Volturi are the largest and most powerful coven of vampires. They enforce the laws of the vampire world." Edwards answers.

"Wait, vampires have rules?"

"Only a few to maintain the secrecy surrounding the existence of vampires." Edward tucks a loose strand of hair behind Bella's ear.

"Like?"

"Hunts must be inconspicuous, with victims unlikely to be missed." I answer.

"If someone breaks the laws, then?"

"They get killed."

-

"Happy birthday to you." They all start singing in unison, bringing in the most beautiful cake on earth. It's so pretty and it's primary colours are baby pink and black which I love. They all are carrying presents wrapped beautifully in their hands.

"I thought I said I don't want to celebrate." I protest, eyeing the cake. There is a bow around the third layer and roses around the second. Freaking roses.

"How can we not celebrate?" Alice squeals, placing the cake on the table in front of me.
"I'm aging. Soon, I'll be a granny. But you guys'll be young and hot." I say, flatly. Bella nods her head in agreement.

"A reminder, we're atleast 90 years older than you are." Jasper speaks.

"You guys don't look it. Ed is supposed to be 3 years older than me. But I'm 18 now. He's 17." I freak out a little, saying this out loud.
"Stop freaking out. I'm over a century old." Edward chuckles.

"Whatever. Let's cut the cake." I blow out the candles and cut the three tiered cake.

"Why did you guys bother for such a huge cake? Bella and I are the only ones who'll eat this."

"Judging by how much you eat, this will be enough for you for just one day." Emmett laughs.

"Haha. Funny." I grumble, tasting the cake.

-

"Jake?" I walk up to the familiar figure standing on the green grass, careful not to crush any flowers. The sun shines brightly. The tweeting and chirping of birds can be heard.

The lake is still and a slight breeze blows. I put my hand on his shoulder.

Suddenly, the figure morphs into something else. The flowers wither and the grass turns a brownish colour. The sun hides behind a cloud making it gloomy. What turns around isn't Jake but something else. His eyes' colour were dark gold. I gasp.

He opens his mouth, revealing razor sharp teeth. He grabs me roughly. I try to run away but his grip on my waist is stronger than I am. Tears flood my eyes as his teeth sink into my flesh.

"Ais!" I feel strong hands shake my shoulders.

I scream and try to get away from the voice.

"Please don't kill me." I plead, crying, struggling to get free.

"No, Ais. It's me, Carlisle, your dad." I open my eyes to find a familiar pair of topaz coloured eyes filled with worry and pain.

"Dad?" I put my arms around him tightly.

"It's alright. I'm here now. Nothing's going to happen." He pats my shoulder gently and strokes my hair.

"Would you like to talk about your dream?" He cooed.

"The same dream." I choke out. The same dream I have been having for a week consecutively.

His cold fingers wipes my tears for me.
"It was only a bad dream. Go back to sleep. You must be tired. I'll stay here until you fall asleep." He tucks me in and sits next to me.

Clutching his cold hand, I close my eyes and try to sleep.

A/N
How tumblrish is Ais's cake? Pastel heaven!!
Enjoy!
-Simran