The Biggest Lie

Pov: Austin

My wolf takes over soon as we see Nova mom ghost form. She points the way, and I'm on it like a hunter after his pray. I'm going to bring Nova home, even if it kills me. Without her, the sun might as well never shine or the moon to make us feel free at night.

Ten miles in, we start to hear yips and whoots from the tree's, then we are ambushed by a group of half shifters. They have crazed looks in their eyes. A clear sign that they've never learned to control them selves.

Take, no prisoners. Kill them and move on, we are on a mission to save Nova. I instruct them.

A stringing half shifter, hair crazy beyond bed head, with leafs and sticks in his hair. His body thin, under fed no doubt, his pants are filthy and ripped up to his knees. The others are in no better shape then him.

The half shifter, cracks his knuckles. "Kill them. Slice the Alpha head off, it'll please Shannon." He orders.

Before they can attack, Nova dad jumps over head and takes down the man, killing him in seconds. With this one swift attack, we go on the attack. But the killing takes a few short minutes if that.

Go to east and south. My back and I will go north and west. Only use the mind link to my pack, if its really needed. He tells me and then he makes a head jerking movement to his pack members and they are off. Their feet sound like thunder against the ground.

Turning to my own pack, I swiftly shake my head, knowing they heard and then they spread out.

Left alone, I glance around and then Nova mom standing in front of me. "My granddaughter heart is broken and I need you to stand by Nova when the biggest lie, comes to light. Nova did a good thing, taking Maria in like her own daughter; that makes it clear that Nova will be a good mother." She turns her head, as if she heard something and then quickly looks back to me. "Run to her Austin! Run to the people that I love most, before it's to late!"

Pov Nova:

The gun goes off, but we aren't hit. Instead big vines cocoon around us. Austin holds me close, as if it'll come down on us.

But I don't think of his arms holding me. No, I'm more concentrated on what I smell.

Blood.

Getting out of his grip, I half shift and start to claw the shit out of the vines taking one big chunk at a time. Austin comes and helps, but it feels like we aren't moving fast, because all I smell is more and more blood, like there is a pool of it beyond these vines.

Finally with a hole big enough, I get threw it and soon as I do, I feel like someone just kicked me in the gut and threw my heart in a blunder.

Natty body is limp, with blood coming out the hole in her middle. Shannon looks at like she not even there and then turns on me, with the gun pointed. "You will all soon be with your mother." She gives me an evil smile.

The wind comes up and I smell someone or I should say, two someone's. "You'll see her before we all do." And with a split second, dad launches from the trees and rips her arm clean off that's pointing the gun.

Shannon screams in pain, holding her shoulder. Dad throws her disabled arm, with the gun still clutched in its fist.

Dad turns his body like he's protecting me. But I don't stay behind him. I run to Natty and slowly turn her on her back. She coughs up blood and her eyes are half mass. "Hi sis," she whispers.

We hear people trample threw the woods. Three half shifters come threw. All lucky to be walking. But in truth, they should be dead. Two of them pull a struggling to get free Maria. No! No! No! I scream out in my head.

Shannon face has lost so much color, she down on her knees and smiles wickedly. Sparks fly threw my body, Austin is next to me and I don't know when he moved to me. It almost feels like I have tunnel vision.

"Maria, I'm your great aunt and there is a family sector that you need to know!" Shannon yells.

I move from my spot, Austin taking my place. Standing up, I half shift out of instinct. My wolf mind and my mind in sink, nothing over taking anything. I'm in total control of my half shift form. "You tell her and I'll rip out your heart!" Balling up my fists, I move my eye's just in time to see Cody snap one of the half shifters necks and then snaps the other two necks.

His movements are sluggish and Shannon doesn't even seem like she notice her lackeys are dead. Maria moves to Cody, gripping on to his pants, where he puts a protective arm around her.

Dad, moves to Natty and shifts, by the sound of his bones reforming. But I don't turn to check on my sister.

"Maria, the family been lying to you-"

"Be quite! Your dying as it is!" I snap.

She smiles at me. "Death is a welcome, to your happy world is blown up." She turns her head to my brother and niece. "They've lied to you all your little life. Your mother isn't your moth-"

Snap!

She dead, but she said to much. Looking up, Maria crying against Cody pants. Cody frowns, looking down at the ground. Shannon said enough, to destroy what we have made Maria to be happy with.

Howls lift to the air and its like the world falls from under my feet. I fall backwards. My body is heavy and my mind light, as I shift back to human form. Maria knows the truth now and there no way I or anyone else can change that.

Austin picks me up in his strong arms. But I don't feel protected in them. I just feel lost and broken.

Looking up at the sky, the sun is starting to raise. Tears slid down the corners of my eyes. I'm sorry Evy, I couldn't keep the truth from her. I let you down and all you asked of me, was be her mother and I couldn't even do that. My eye lids slowly close. I'm sorry.

****

Did this chapter pull at your heart strings?