18 Calm

The Song is Deep End by Ruelle. I thought it might try to convey the mixed emotions Merida has later in this chapter. She feels mostly lost, but she's also in that state of mind where she wouldn't admit it to herself.

"Have you been to Venice?" I ask.

"Not for years." Alba answers, his finger lazily trailing the mark on my forearm. I shiver as he does.

"Out of everywhere I've been, accept Scotland, of course, I think it's the most beautiful." I reach over and touch his hair, pushing it from his eyes, though it flopped back into place when I moved my hand. The TV was playing in the background. We had talked for hours. I couldn't say how long exactly.

We had moved from the living room to his room as the night grew. He'd given me another shirt, though I had my own bag of clothes on the floor in the living room. My shoulder had begun to throb again, but in Alba's presence I could barely feel the sorrow that plagued the edges of my mind.

"Want to know what I think?" He asks me, grabbing my outstretched hand. I nod, pulling the pillow under me to listen. "A place is only as good as the people who live there." Alba brushes his fingers through my red curls. "And right here, is a pretty good place."

I giggle, leaning closer and kissing him. Without hesitation, he kisses back, pulling me towards him. It wasn't urgent and fiery like the last time. It was gentle. Like I was glass and he was a hammer. Though, in reality, it was quite the opposite. I slip my fingers into his inky hair.

---

I slip out the front door, pulling my coat around me, and walking briskly down the street, not because there was danger. Because it was cold this morning.

I look at my phone. My newly blow-dried hair was in ringlets around my shoulders. I had slipped into the shower before I left. Alba had pressed a small kiss to my temple before letting me leave, and then returned to get ready for the day.

A text from Elijah told me he was waiting at the little cafe on Bourbon street, so I hurry my walk. I could've ran, but I didn't want to scuff up my wedges. They were new, and white, matching the dress that hid under my navy blue coat. My makeup was simple. Just enough to bold​ my eyelashes.

If I was going to face my little brother later, I might as well look good doing it. I spot Elijah through the glass before he sees me. Across the street, as early birds scuttled about. Across from him, sat Bastian. Both of them clean, in neat, ironed clothes. I then realized just how much they were alike. So noble and just. Well, Bastian did dabble in fun, something I couldn't say of Elijah.

Elijah was smiling as Bash said something, and I wanted to imagine for a moment that everything would be okay. That Francis wasn't going away, and Penelope would forgive me. But it was in Vain. The night had felt so different than now. Now the weight of the world felt like it was crushing my shoulders. What was I to do for the rest of eternity?

I've been a Queen, literally. A vampire. A student, of Mikael. A slave to Aurora and her evil brother. What now? Watch as the family I had spent decades trying to find after escaping from Mikael dissolve into nothing? I thought of Francis. His happy, wide smile sending me a sheepish look right before he downed a shot and killed someone. Carefree, but loyal to the end. Penelope, her moments of small smiles and nods towards me even though we both didn't care for each other. She'd rub off the old hostility between us. And Bash. One who kept my secret. The sentinel of the family.

What are we to do? The only ones left standing?

I sigh deeply, before walking across the street, feeling my necklace pulse against my chest, but this time, I only held my head high. Daring the danger that apparently threatened me. I enter the cafe, unbuttoning my coat in the warmer temperature, and walking over to the booth where the two sat. As good as my family.