Seven

An unmarked car pulled up along the curb in the shadiest part of the Gotham City docks. A man emerged from the shadows, wearing a casual—at least for him—green suit and twirling a golden cane, whose topper was a sparkling question mark. The cane glistened in the early morning sunlight, effectively blinding the driver. Riddler smirked, knowing exactly the effect he'd had on Joker's man.

Frosty was still blinking the sun out of his eyes when Riddler smoothly opened the back door and slid into the car. Frost glared a little at the mastermind through the rear view mirror when his vision cleared up.

"That kinda shit ain't gonna fly with J. I'm telling you this now so your nerdy face doesn't get pounded in with your own cane later. I'd hate for Madeline to have to see something like that," Johnny warned lowly.

"Surely if this Madeline is to be of any use to your boss, she must be used to murder and carnage by now, hm?" Riddler pried innocently.

"Never you mind about that," Johnny growled. "Your job is to give the girl a proper education, not annoy the shit out of my boss and I. Any idiot could do that, and your behavior just puts you on their intellectual level."

Frost had succeeded in finally shutting the infamous Riddler up. The brainiac had no response to the head goon that did not imply he had an inferior intelligence. The car ride back to the manor was silent from that point on.

Meanwhile, it was seven in the morning and Maddie wasn't awake yet. Why would she be? It wasn't like she had anything to do that she knew about. J may have sort of neglected to tell the girl about her new tutor that was due to arrive in fifteen minutes. So when he casually told her caretakers that another super-criminal was on the way to see Maddie, who could blame them for panicking?

The pair immediately scrambled into the young girl's room and pounced her. The bed shook with Maddie as the men tried to wake her up with little success.

"Madeline! You need to wake up right now! Your daddy wants you up and ready to go in like ten minutes. He's got some mental training for you today and you need to get up!" Tommy whisper shouted to his charge.

Maddie almost immediately sat upright, knocking heads with Andy, who was still leaning over her. He quickly hissed and drew back, turning to find her an outfit to wear. Maddie looked concerned from her position.

"What's mental training?" She asked, mind still fuzzy from sleep and her strange but hilarious dream.

"You're gonna learn some new stuff that's not fighting," Tom explained shortly, lifting the girl out of bed and setting her down on the floor.

She was too tired to protest when he stripped her of her nightgown as Andrew entered and dressed her in jeans and a flannel shirt. Once she was dressed, Tommy swept her up and took her to the bathroom, gently washing her face and helping her brush her teeth as Andy brushed out her hair and put it up in pigtails.

"Look! So pretty and ready to go," Andy smiled. "Let's get you downstairs baby."

Tommy and Andy took a hand each to lead Madeline downstairs. They went down the stairs one at a time to avoid accidents and sat Maddie down at the island when they arrived. Thomas fetched a granola bar from the cabinet and handed it to her.

"Sorry, sweetie. We don't have time for anything else," he apologized.

Maddie shrugged and opened the wrapper, eating the granola bar reluctantly but without protest.

Just then, a rap came at the front door before it swung open to reveal the comical character that is the Riddler. Madeline immediately noticed his odd attire, finding it remarkably similar to her daddy's, except opposite. The strange man wore a green suit with purple accents, like the purple question mark on his green bowler hat. She tilted her head in question at his appearance, wondering if he was her daddy's brother or something. Wouldn't that make him my uncle?