Squad Up (Pt 8)

"You tell everybody everything, or you and me are gonna go right now," Floyd demands, pressing the binder into Flag's chest.

Maddie for the most part tunes out as Rick explains to the rest of the team what she and Deadshot already know. Some crazy witch goddess has taken over the city and is responsible for all the zombies they've been fighting. Though he leaves out the part where he's sleeping with her. Lucky witch.

"You can just kill me right now, but I'm gonna go have a drink," Floyd announces, walking into the nearby bar.

"Hey!" Flag protests. "Deadshot, I need your help."

"No, sir. You need a miracle!" Floyd calls without looking back. With a shrug, the others follow behind, Madeline hanging back just a moment longer.

"Maybe you should give that binder a quick read before you try and preach at us some more, hot stuff. Waller's got a little spread on you, too," she advises, patting him on the shoulder before heading towards the bar herself.

"Here's to honor among thieves," Floyd declares as he raises his glass.

"I'm not a thief," Katana protests from her seat at the end of the bar.

"Oh, she's not a thief," Floyd tells the rest of them. "Well, we almost pulled it off, despite what everybody thought. Worst part of it is, they're gonna blame us for the whole thing. They can't have people knowing the truth. We're the patsies. The coverup. Don't forget, we're the bad guys."

"It's your own fault. Why would you ever fall for Waller like that?" Diablo demands.

"Look, I'm having a drink, I'm breathing fresh air. And for two, sweet seconds, I had hope," Floyd explains dismally.

"You had hope," Diablo repeats. "Well hope don't stop the wheel from turning, brother."

"You preaching?" Deadshot asks.

"It's coming back around for you," he replies. "How many people you killed man?"

"You don't ask nobody no question like that, ese," Floyd growls.

"You ain't never whacked down no women," Diablo notes. "No kids."

"I don't kill women or children," Floyd explains.

"I do," Diablo says, lowering the temperature of the room by about twenty degrees. His words are chilling enough that everyone in the room freezes.

"See, I was born with the Devil's gift," he explains. "I kept it hidden most of my life, but the older I got, the stronger it got. So I started using it. For business, you know? The more street power I got, the more firepower I got. Like that shit went hand in hand, you know? Ain't nobody tell me no, except my old lady."

Everyone is paying full attention to Diablo as he tells his tale, his eyes zoned out as he watches something the rest of them can't see.

"See when I get mad, I lose control you know? Like I don't know what I do, until it's done," he finishes, as the dancing woman in his hand is extinguished.

"And the kids?" Boom asks.

"He killed them. Didn't you?" Harley wonders. "Own that shit. Own it. What'd you think was gonna happen? Huh?"

"Hey, Harley," Maddie interrupts. "Come on."

"What? You were just... thinking you could have a happy family? And coach little leagues and make car payments? Normal's a setting on the dryer! People like us, we don't get normal," Harley rants, coming from a place of personal pain. Even if it's what we want, Maddie finishes.

Boomerang tells her off, rightfully so, while Maddie sits in silence. Because some of us are dealt a shitty hand and choose to do the easy thing to keep ourselves alive, we become monsters, outcasts. And there's no redemption. What kind of bullshit is that?

"We don't want you here," Harley snarls, drawing Maddie from her thoughts.

Flag has entered the building and sits down at the bar, in between Maddie and Floyd.

"You get to the part of that binder saying I'm sleeping with her?" Flag asks them.

"Yeah," Madeline mumbles.

"I never been with a witch before. What's that like?" Floyd responds. "Apparently that's why the creatures chase him all the time. Cause the witch is scared of him."

"She's scared that he could make June take control back," Maddie agrees.

"That poor girl, the only girl I ever cared about, is trapped inside that monster," Flag says. Maddie turns away, unable to look at him while he admits his feelings for another woman. He just fucking said she's the only one he cares about. I mean I know we're not actually anything but that still hurts. Uncalled for, especially when he knows how I feel about him.

Actually, maybe he doesn't. All I've done is flirt with him incessantly, insult him, and act like a horny bitch.

"Everybody's gonna know what we did. And my daughter is gonna know that her daddy isn't a piece of shit," Floyd announces, obviously at the end of something important.

I really need to start paying more attention.

"I'll come," Harley says flippantly. "What? You guys got something better to do? Pussies."

Everyone begins to exit the bar, ready to follow Rick wherever they need to go to take out the witch. Maddie lingers at the bar. Hey, I never got a drink! What gives?

"I thought about what you said," Rick says from behind her. "Waller definitely set June and I up. And it looks like she made the witch help out."

"Then why do you still wanna risk everything to save her?" Maddie asks, turning around in the barstool.

"Because it's not June's fault. She doesn't deserve to be trapped inside the witch for the rest of eternity," Flag replies compassionately.

"Don't lie!" Mad lashes out. "It's because you love her! Despite everything you just said, and that you know your feelings are artificial, you still love June Moone and want to be with her. You don't have to lie to try and protect my feelings."

"Mad, I—" Flag stutters.

"No, I get it. You just don't want to risk what you have for some lowlife criminal with daddy issues," Maddie snaps. "After all, she's just a teenage psycho, her feelings don't matter. I'll help you get your beloved June back. But only so you'll get the fuck out of my life."

With that, she stands up and pushes her way past Rick and to the outdoors where the Squad awaits.