Nineteen

"Gordon," the gravelly greeting startled the Commissioner, though he had been waiting for Batman's arrival all night.

"Did you find what you were looking for?" Gordon asked.

"I spoke with Susan Wainwright. The woman from the news," Bruce began. "I don't think she's lying, surprisingly enough. I think Joker's prisoner is her daughter. But that doesn't change the fact that she murdered her late husband. I've got enough evidence of it to put her away for a long time."

James sighed and shook his head. Another lead wasted. The woman knew nothing about the girl and she was a murderer.

"I've put it all on your desk. The drugs she used, internet history—it all points to her," Batman continued.

"I'll get a warrant in the morning. She's not dangerous, is she?" Jim asked.

"Hardly. Why do you think she resorted to slipping drugs into her husband's food? She's weak and she's frightened. But now our only other potential lead on the girl is Nigma," Bruce replied.

"And who knows if he'll be of help," Gordon muttered.

"I don't know where he's currently located, but I do know where some of his cameras are. I can leave him a message," the Bat suggested.

"If you think that will work," Gordon sighed, only to turn around and find himself alone on the rooftop. "I hate it when he does that."

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Susan woke up gasping as she heard noises in her house. Again.

Fed up with Batman after having to saw herself down with the batarang after their previous meeting, she stormed downstairs.

"Now listen here, you great black heathen! I will not have you make a fool of me in my own house again!" She shrieked, stomping down the stairs.

She froze when, once she'd reached the bottom, cold metal was pressed against her throat as an arm wrapped around her waist from behind.

"Last I checked, uh, Suzy, I'm white. Pasty white. And this isn't really your house," Joker growled into her ear.

"Y-Y-You," Susan stuttered.

"M-Me," Joker mocked, laughing as he threw the woman to the floor in front of him, hitting her head against the island counter of the kitchen.

"I hear you're telling lies on the news, Suzy girl. And good little girls don't tell lies, do they? Well, I guess good little girls don't kill their husbands either so you must be one naughty little girl, huh Suzy?" Joker announced.

"W-What do you want from me?" Susan squeaked. "You can have anything you want, just don't hurt me, please!"

"I don't want what you've got, Suzy. Street girl like you probably has a whole slew of fun diseases huh? But only one unwanted child. My child," he cackled in response.

"Your child?" She asked. "I never had a child with you!"

"Ding ding ding! You have no child, Suzy. Madeline is my daughter, not yours. You're no mother," Joker growled.

Sensing the very real danger she was in, Susan shrunk back.

"Tut tut tut, Suzy, I'm not gonna hurt ya! Just gonna make you smile," he laughed hysterically.