Chapter 22

Watching Rush walk toward me like he actually had a purpose caught me off guard, more because he had come all the way to Micah's house. I was pretty sure he didn't do that often, unless he was planning to start a fight with Micah and hadn't actually come to see me.

"I think I'm dreaming," Levi said, as he stopped behind me. "Am I the only one seeing Rush right now?"

"No, bro," Micah let out a breath. "I see him, too. Should I go for defense or sucker punch him?"

"He doesn't look pissed," I pointed out as he finally reached us, stopping right in front of me.

I took a cautious step back, bumping into Levi's chest. He put his hands on my shoulders to steady me at the same time Rush grabbed my hand, jerking me forward and into him.

"We need to talk," he told me and suddenly I felt a mix of emotions.

I felt happy that he had approached me first. I felt scared that maybe I had done something wrong to make him hate me, if that was even possible. Then I felt anger that he had taken so long to decide to talk to me when he had been the one who made the mistake. The mistake of leaving me in my bed and then accusing me of sleeping with Micah, I mean.

"Talk, then," I blurted out, stepping away from him.

"Let's go home," he told me and I shook my head, taking another step back.

"Whatever you want to say, you can say it now," I ordered, unable to meet his eyes. "Or don't talk at all."

"Fine," he snapped, taking one long stride.

Before I could even register what the hell was going on, Rush had cupped my cheek and pressed his lips firmly against mine. There was a gasp, probably from me as my heart jumped to my throat, only to beat even faster up there. I think my knees went weak and buckled under me but his arm snaked around my waist, holding me up.

"What is this? A romance drama?" Micah scoffed behind us, making me shove Rush off of me.

"Are you sick?" Levi asked and I turned to look at the two of them in horror, just to make sure that they had just seen what had happened.

Levi's cheeks were flushed pink, but not as dark as mine had and was staring at Rush, looking slightly jealous. Okay, so maybe he still had a tiny crush on me. Micah had an amused smirk playing on his lips, like he had been expecting something but not the way things had panned out.

"No, I'm not sick," Rush grabbed my hand again. "Can we go home, now?"

"I-" I obviously couldn't trust my brain to form words or my mouth to speak them.

"I have to work on something for college," Micah said, looking me in the eye. He surely meant something in the way he looked at me but I wasn't sure what. I knew he didn't approve of my feelings for Rush but he sure as hell had made it clear that he wanted me to be happy.

Micah nudged Levi who was still gaping at his brother.

"Oh, I-uh, have to go buy groceries," Levi stammered. "I'll see you guys back at the house in an hour."

"Let's go," Rush tugged on my hand and started dragging me toward our house.

I opened and closed my mouth several times as he kept his hold on my hand and walked me home but no words seemed to form on my tongue. I didn't know what to say.

When we reached the house, it was empty. Levi had gone to the grocery store but where had my brother gone? Not that I needed an audience.

As he started pulling me up the stairs, I used all my energy to yank my wrist from his grip. Startled, he turned to look at me as I huffed and puffed from walking all the way home.