16 In the arms of a stranger

I felt overwhelmed. I can see things becoming out of control. But I am helpless.

"Ahmed and mum came after you left. They thought I should be honor killed for living in sin. Mum slit my wrist. Luckily I didn't bleed to death. My neighbors heard the shouting and rush in to help"

And when his hold on my hand tighten. It really tighten and hurting me.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"You had enough to worry about rather than carry these burdens. Joe you are hurting me"

He grabbed my other hand in his too.

"You are going to get married, so leave me. I am not a slut to sleep with rich men" I told him angrily. He is crossing his limits. And his anger is just spilling from his eyes. I have really pissed him off but I don't care.

"Let me go" I struggled, while he held me tight.

"I am going bloody f*ck you right here , right now if you don't stop fighting me"

"Oh yea, well, may be I deserve it. Some of James and Tom's qualities have rub on you even with little association I guess. Now leave me before I scream" I told him equally angry.

He spin around and held me the wall.

"Okay. scream" what is wrong with him.

"I said bloody scream" he said coming closer to my face, looking directly in to my eyes. He knows no matter what, I will not scream.

I turned my face away from him. But before I could fully turned, Joe's lips were on mine. He kissed me over and over again. And shame on me, I responded. I responded with everything I have, everything I lost in the last 5 years, every feeling I kept buried, every tear I cried, every sleepless night I thought of him, only him.

"Why did you deny me this?" Joe asked but before I could reply kissed me again. It took 10 minutes for him to catch his breath. I know he is in the verge of losing control.

"I missed you too. But my heart has always been yours, but my body isn't. It is not right. You belongs to someone else, and eventually I belongs to some other person. We are doing great injustice to them with our action"

I got agitated for what I said. His old on me tighten. And before I struggle he kissed me again. He want to punish me for not giving myself for him. It hurts really bad. How can I give myself, when only my body belongs to me and heart belongs to him? I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. And his kiss become tender when he tasted my tears. And then he hugged me.

"Don't cry"

"Please, just stop doing this. I will get hurt. I already have. You are destined to do great things. And Alina will help you and guide you. Don't make it hard on me. I beg you" I was begging in fact.

"No"

"What do you mean No? Are you mad? You are cheating on Alina. Joe, I am not one of your cheap commodities where you can toss some money and then leave me to collect whatever left off. Stay away from me. I mean it. This has gone too far" and I tried pull off and go.

Joe didn't let go, and kept struggling to get my hands free, when the door opened and mid way we both stood frozen, when Alina came in clear having witness what just happened.

"Well, well, well.. What do we have here?" Alina said clearly amused.

"It is not what you think it is Alina" I said weakly, trying to free my hand.

"It is exactly what you think Alina" Joe said. I felt like kicking him.

"Were you cheating on me Joe?" Alina asked again. What the hell, where is the emotion in this woman's voice. She sound flat, and decisive.

"No, I wasn't because I decided we are not getting married" Joe said.

"No, No, No. You are getting married to her Joe, and I will plan the wedding. Alina, I threw myself at him. It was not his fault. He is just trying to protect me. Kindly go ahead and marry him. I am leaving"

Joe didn't let go of my hand. "Damn it Joe. Let go"

"Alina we need to talk. You will not leave this house. If you do, I swear to God, I wont be responsible for what happens"

I just fled the room as the room is in fire. What the hell did just happened. I went to my room. And gather my things to just go away. I'll face Joe latter, but I need some space. When I tried to open the door, the damned door is locked. It is one of the doors with digital locks. And I got pretty mad. This time Joe has crossed the line.

********************************************************

"Alina, I can explain"

"Please go ahead. What do you have to say?"

My instincts have always been sharp. And right now it screams that something is wrong.

"Do you have anything to say?" I wanted to know.

Alina kept quite for a her while. Then it really really surprised what she said.

"She is the one my dad told who helped you. Isn't she?"

"Yes. She helped me"

"And is she the reason why we could never connect  on a deeper level?"

"Yes" and that's the truth. But that is not that all to the story.

"But..?"

"What do you mean BUT joe?"

"Alina, we know each other from childhood. We were friends as we grew up. And eventually we got to see each other because our fathers felt it was the right thing to do. But deep down, you didn't love me and neither did I. And for the last 6 months we were drifting apart. You know it and I do too. We haven't had a descent conversation in 6 months. Is there anything would you like to add?"

She smiled. A genuine smile I have seen since we start seeing each other. She removed the ring I have given her, and placed it on the table.

"Let's say we should have remained as friends. I love you Joe, I do. And I know you love me too. But we both know the love we have for each other is not what we are looking for?"

"Oh my god. Did you set us up?"

I know Alina from childhood. She has a way of getting things done. And you never know what hits you until it does.

"If I am to find my happiness Joe, I have to be generous enough to help you find yours"

I don't know why I said it or how I knew it, I just said "Azam"

*******************************************************************************************

Please read "In the arms of a stranger" for Azam's and Alina's love story.