21 We have visitors

Alina and Azam came home quite early. I was very glad to see them. Alina kissed my cheeks while Azam giving me a murderous look.

"Chill bro, we are cool" I told him, while I saw his hands going around Alina protectively. I would have taken great offense if I hadn't felt the same if Zahra did the same.

"You guys talk while I catch up with Zahra" Alina left me and Azam in an awkward silence.

"Alina is right. You are in love. I am surprise you didn't take long to figure it out yourself" Azam said teasingly.

"Like hell. Not that you figured it out yourself. So please" I teased him back.

"Are you sure you want to marry Zahra? We Muslims have a strong notion of marriage, you know. And if what Alina says is true, Zahra is treasure"

"How did Alina knows so much about Zahra? I kept asking her, but she refused to tell me"

"You will know in good time"

*********************************

Alina reached me with a big smile in her face and gave me a tight hug.

"Was he behaving?" she asked pointing Joe.

I smiled. He wasn't behaving. I am not about to tell that to her. "He tried at least"

"This is Joe's journal I found in his apartment. Read it. Then give it back to him. He wonders how I know so much about you"

"Are you sure I ought to read this. I don't feel comfortable"

"I will keep Joe and Azam in the living room. Finish the journal, and I will send Joe to you"

I took the journal and went to my room. I didn't close the door. I sat on my bed and read Joe's journal.

First entry was the day he left my home

"I left her, and she refused me. She refuse to give us a chance. She killed us before we even started. I can still feel her taste in me. Divinely. Zahra fits perfectly in my arms. I could kiss her forever. She could have given me her life, but not herself? Why? Am I not worthy of love? Is my place in this world much important that loving me? Had she asked me to stay, I would have left everything. I cant sleep, I cant eat, I cant breath"

And the entries went on and on, while I the tears I am trying to hold just kept flowing free.

Last entry:

"I am done writing journals. I am going to live care free. End of the day, I cant find that part of me which I missed long ago"

I took my phone, rang Alina. "Can you ask Joe to come to my room please?"

I sat on the bed, holding the journal. I heard Joe's foot steps.

"What's up love?"

"Close the door" I told him. He was shocked.

"Why?"

"I said close the damned door" I told him impatiently.

He closed the door and came to When he came to me, I stood up, and I to mine and his surprise, I kissed him. I kissed him on the lips hard. He held me tight. My headscarf fell lose, and he freed my hair, put his hands inside and held me firmly to his lips.

After sometime, I broke the kiss.

"I love you too" I told him my face buried in his chest.

"I know my love. I know" he said kissing my head.

Then I tried to break his embrace and give his the journal. But he didn't let go of me.

"Darling, please. I need to give something that belongs to you"

I went and got his journal. Joe was initially confused, then he realized it was his journal. Then he took it from me.

"Who gave this to you?" he asked me.

"Alina"

"You read everything?" I nodded yes.

"I poured my heart bear in this journal. The first and last I ever had" he skimmed the pages trying to read what he had written.

I took the journal from him. "This belongs to me" I said firmly.

"Just burn it love"

"No. This belongs to me" I said more stubbornly.

"Will you marry me my love?"

"You said in one entry about how you hate me. let me try to quote you properly" I was searching for the part where he eloquently state how he hate me for what I have done for him.

"The hell with it. I am burning this damned thing" he tried to grab it from me.

"No" I held the book away from him. He tried to grab it from me, and we end up rolling and fighting for a journal. Joe finally took it from me.

"Give it to me"

"No"

"If you give that to me, I promise I will marry you" I told him.

"Like hell you would" he threw the journal on the floor. Next thing I know is we were in the bed kissing each other passionately. It took sometime to break the kiss.

"We have visitors"