Freeing the King

Serena's POV

We reach the top of a hall that overlooks Rohan. "Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld" Gandalf states. "There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong" he tells us.

"We'll free him Gandalf" I assure him.

"Be careful what you say. Do not look for welcome here" papa tells us. We enter the forest me staying close to Legolas. The villagers give us sidelong glances and seem wary of me. Papa and notice a girl in one of the hall windows looking at us. But she disappears as we continue towards the hall.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard" I hear Gimli mumble. Guards approach us as we climb the stairs to the hall.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden king so armed, Gandalf Grayhame. By order of... Gríma Wormtongue" the captain of the gaurd states. "Or with the wolf" he adds looking at me. With a nod from Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli give their many weapons to the guards. I growl annoyed and sit down.

"Cheb- tir- Serena, tul- ir cin hear i cost start" papa tells me and I nod my head. (Translation: Keep watch Serena, come when you hear the fight start). The captain of the guard asked Gandalf for his staff.

"Eh? Oh. No, you would not part an old man from his walking stick?" Gandalf states. The guard nods his head as Legolas helps Gandalf 'walk' into the hall. The doors shut behind them and guards. I wait patiently listening for my signal.

I suddenly heard someone shout saying he'd told the guards to take the wizards staff. I ram the door down as the fight starts. I see Papa, Legolas and Gimli fight the guards, allowing Gandalf to walk to Théoden. One of the king's guards moves to draw his sword, but is stopped by the captain.

"Théoden, Son of Théngel. Too long have you sat in the shadows" Gandalf states. I growl and tackle a man to the ground as he tried to sneak away.

"I would stay still if I were you" Gimli tells him as I bare my teeth. I hear the king laugh as Gandalf removed his grey robe to reveal his white robes. He points his staff at the king as papa holds a maiden back. I recognize her as the one from the window.

"If I go — Théoden dies" the king says in Saruman's voice.

"You did not kill me. You will not kill him" Gandalf states and I growl frighteningly. I jump off of the man leaving Gimli to handle him. As Saruman said Rohan was his.

"Not now, not ever. Be gone!" I shout howling at the king. The maiden rushes to Théoden, whose face begins to change, and soon he looks normal again. I pant lightly as the fighting stops and everyone looks at the king & maiden.

"I know your face. Èowyn — Èowyn" the king says and I sigh in relief laying on the ground.

"You did good Serena" Papa says kneeling beside me patting my head. Gandalf and the king speak briefly. Before the captain of the guard gave the king a sword. The king holds it before looking at the cowering man I had stopped from leaving. He stands suddenly approaching the man and drags him from the hall. Before tossing him down the stairs as we all watched.

"Argh! I've only ever served you my lord" the man says.

"Your leechcraft would have had me crawling on all fours like a beast!" the king shouts.

"Send me not from your side!" the man pleads. Théoden raises his sword to kill the man, but is stopped by papa.

"No my lord! No my lord. Let him go" he tells him.

"Enough blood has been spilt on his account" I add. Papa then holds his hand out the man. Gríma spits on it and runs off through the crowd. I snarl wanting to chase him, put Papa holds my collar.

"Hail, Théoden king!" Papa calls as I relax. The man left on a horse. The villagers bow to their free king.

"Where is Théodred? Where is my son?" the king asks aloud. We find out Théodredwas dead. A funeral was prepared and we all attended it. Èowyn sung as the body of her cousin was place into the tomb.

"Bealocwealm hafað fréone frecan forth onsended
giedd sculon singan gléomenn sorgiende
on Meduselde þæt he ma no wære,
Þæt he ma nowere is, þurh niedig rest
And mægen deorost.
Bealo..." she sings as I howl along to the tune. (Translation:

An evil death has set forth the noble warrior
A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels
An evil death has set forth the noble warrior
A song shall sing sorrowing minstrels
And that he is the dearest kinsman.
Killing took him...) I then return to the hall with the others while Gandalf remained to speak to the king. When they returned, they had two starved children with them. Èowyn prepared them something to drink and eat, along with something for me. "They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree" she explains.

"Where's mama?" the little girl asks.

"Hush young one" I say and point to her food.

"This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron" Gandalf tells the king. I approach them and stand in front of the king.

"Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight" I tell him.

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Èomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king" Papa adds.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Èomer cannot help us" the king states as he stands up."I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war" he tells us.

"Open war is upon you, whether would risk it or not" papa states and I nod my head in agreement.

"When last I looked, Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan" the king states. I resist the urge to growl as Gimli burps loudly. Gandalf asked the king what his decision is. He decided to take his people to Helms Deep. Of course, we would be going with them.

A/N

Gif above of Théoden turning back to normal.