1 ❀ Scardey Cats

West Virginia          Present day          Ezra POV

West Virginia
Present day
Ezra POV

    The chilling breeze blows through my hair, sending various amber strands against my line of vision. The whistles of wind are a good indicator of the approaching winter season.

     Snow will be falling soon, and I welcome it with open arms.

     This is all that's on my distractible mind as I lean on my heels, crouched low to the ground in the foliage. My gaze is glued on a pair of men while they sit around aimlessly at the fireside, laughing and howling, completely oblivious to the predators lurking in the shadows.

     Another exited one of the nearby cottages, rushing to join his friends.

     My job here is to observe their movements, of course, but the action becomes monotonous.

     Instead, the thought of piles of shell colored flurries fills me with a feeling at peace.

     "Rogues for sure. They're all werewolves though." Reid whispers to me and I nod my head in agreement. In all honestly, I only half hear what he said. I'm distracted.

     I nearly forgot he was there. He, like me, has been sitting here in the cold for well over an hour. It's not the most fun job in the world. At least we are helping people.

     We're investigating a wide spread rumor that's been scampering across the county like a disease. Everyone's been talking about a group of large wolves terrorizing the local human population.

     Not only that, but a few sightings of a lycan. That was something that would not be tolerated.

     There's a werewolf pack near this area. The Guard, the government we work for, sent us here with clear directions; observe with absolutely no confrontation.

     So, that's exactly what I'm doing.

     We continue the duty of watching the rogue men as more joined them. There are easily fifteen of them. They sit relaxed on tree stumps, exchanging stories and chugging a ridiculous number of beers as the time passes by them quickly.

     "What are we waiting for? Let's go!" Reid whisper yells while Hyrum sneaks up behind us, he's been scouting the camp from a different angle.

     The bear sized guy slides onto the dirt next to Reid, looking to me for instructions. His nostrils flare to take in the scent of the werewolves in the valley below us.

     I shake my head once. "Not yet. We don't know if they're a threat. Plus they're not who we're looking for, remember?"

     Reid groans at that. He feeds on the thrill of the fight, much like all of us, but he tends to be more impatient about it.

     As in kill first, ask questions later.

     "They're rogues. It's most likely that they'll be nasty." Reid mumbles, folding his arms over his chest as he continues to complain. "Let's just go attack, the sooner the better."