44 ❀ When you're ready

The banging wouldn't stop, it was loud as it rang through the house like a warning, a warning of death. A whimper left my mouth in distress.

It was overshadowed by the panting as the woman clutched me to her chest, her tears falling onto my cheeks.

She runs, carrying me tight as she ducks into the closet under the stairs. I somehow hated this closet, I hated it when I went in here, I don't know how I remember, but we came here often. I squirmed and whined wanting the scary sounds to end.

"It's okay, baby. It's gonna be okay." I look up at the woman holding me, her slim arms wrapped around me securely. She leans back and I look into her beautiful brown eyes. The amount of care in those eyes is overwhelming.

"I love you. I love you so much. Mommy won't let anything happen to you. I promise." Her tears are rivers down her slim face, her thumb brushes up and down my cheek gently. Everything about her was gentle.

"Don't go. Bad guys!" A little voice says, a voice I've never heard before, though somehow I know it came from me.

"It'll be alright, Ezra. Mommy will be right back, just count to 100 and I'll be right here with you." She sobs, hugging me again, her crying making her whole body shake in rugged quakes. Her hug was tight and warm and I don't want it to end, I didn't want her to leave.

"OPEN UP! WE KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!" A voice shouts, and the woman holding me shudders, another sob taking hold of her.

"I love you, baby. I'll be right back."

"Mommy, no!" The tiny voice cries, but the door is already closed, slamming shut loud and locking.

I tremble as I begin to count, tears falling down my face as I rock back and forth, wanting the woman to return.

"1....2....3....4....5"

An enormous bang fills the stale air, and a scream. I start crying as more screams come and then abruptly end, cut off halfway through.

"6....7....8....9....10"

"Find him! He's in here somewhere, find him!" The voice sounds familiar, but it's scary. I let out a small cry, I just wanted the woman to come back to me like she promised she would.

There's loud sounds all around and I shake my head, shutting my eyes as tight as they can get.

"11....12....13...."

The door flies open and a growl echoes in the small closet. I let out a terrified scream, clutching my arms around myself.

"I found him!" The man says, but he smells funny, not like the woman that I cared about.