s i x t e e n

Chapter Sixteen

Missy

     Melissa's green eyes were blazing with anger as she sat beside Victor on the bench located in the many parks the Kymari loved to frequent. She was angry, angry that Victor had requested that they meet in a park instead of alone at his home. Her smiles and laughs once again lit up the atmosphere, but her eyes spoke of revenge every time her gaze landed on Kate and me. I was extremely uneasy and didn't want to leave Victor's side for an instant for fear of what she might do.

     I sat on my haunches on a nearby rock, barely breathing to keep myself from flaming the alien. She still smelled strongly of the sicora, and it hurt my nose to be this close to her.

     "We should get Victor to tell the elders," Kate whispered to me, "She could be a danger to us if she comes across any other fire lizard, they won't hesitate to flame her."

     I nodded at her. Melissa was a danger. The other dragonets weren't used to holding back when it came to sicora like we were. They would flame her and possibly put all of us in danger. But then again, we weren't prone to attacking Kymari. There would have to be a good reason for us to flame a Kymari, and I was sure they would all know that.

     "I think we should tell the elders as well," I agreed, "But I don't think the Kymari will be so quick to write us off. We don't attack without good reason, and if she did make a fire lizard attack her, she would be the one under suspicion, not us."

     I sniffed the air, my eyes widening when I smelled the tempting and tantalizing smell of the shia fruit. I looked over, my eyes meeting Melissa's.

     "Do you think she will come over and let me feed her?" Melissa asked as she smiled at me. I narrowed my eyes and stayed rooted to my spot. Kate was also less than impressed and didn't move an inch.

     Victor sent her an apologetic smile, "Kate and Missy aren't very trusting of other Kymari, so..."

     I hated how she tried to gain my trust all the while soaked in head to toe in the scent of the sicora. For some reason, I found it incredibly insulting.

     "I wonder if she even knows if she reeks of those reptilian parasites," I hissed into Victor's mind. If he heard me, he didn't show it. That poker face of his was phenomenal.

     Melissa's eyes suddenly shone with determination. She was determined to gain our trust, and that just made me more determined to stay away from her. I did not, under any circumstances, want her anywhere near me. Once again, I was glad the Elders had decided to keep our intelligence under wraps. I didn't know how Melissa would have acted if she had known, but her not knowing meant that I had an advantage.

     Victor suddenly stood up and turned towards Melissa, "I have to go to the restroom, and afterward, we have to go inspect some buildings. It was nice seeing you again, Melissa."

     Victor trotted off towards the restrooms and I watched as he went, wanting to fly off after him, but stayed put. It would be incredibly awkward if I went with him to the bathroom. I may be a lizard, but I was still a woman inside.

     "I hate you damn lizards," Melissa suddenly growled. A jolt of shock flew through me, but I quickly composed myself.

     "Since you two reptiles came into his life, Victor has drifted further and further away from me! He won't even meet me in his home anymore! I never understood why bond animals were so damn important! But I swear, I will get my Victor back."

     I took a look at had to claw the ground to keep myself rooted. Her eyes were black, black and slimy just like the socira. The smell suddenly intensified and I involuntarily unleashed a growl. Her face spoke of pure unfiltered hate and rage as she glared into my very soul.

     "W-what the h-hell!" Kate gasped as she moved closer to me, seeking protection. The smell of the socira coated me like a thick blanket. I was so close to flaming her it was becoming almost physically impossible to keep my fire at bay. Plus, she was scaring Kate, and I was not okay with that. Closing my eyes, I sent a mental image of Melissa to Victor's brain and urged him to come so that we could leave.

     "Just you wait," Melissa spoke again as she relaxed. Her eyes turned back to the usual green and the smell receded, "I have him, even if I hate to get rid of you damn beasts."

     I was breathing hard and when Victor emerged out of the bathroom, I flew onto his shoulders. Kate was right behind me. I could feel how tense Victor was, and I knew that he wanted to confront Melissa, but without any real proof, he couldn't.

     Melissa ran up, a smile bright and shining on her face. Without any warning, she wrapped herself around Victor and I released a battle cry. Her eyes were murderous as Victor quickly pushed her away.

     "I have to go, for some reason they are very agitated and I need to calm them down. I'll see you later."

     Victor jogged off towards the sidewalk and I slowly settled down. I snarled once more as I glared at Victor.

     "Please bathe when we get home, and let Kate and I flame those clothes, please."

     With a nod, he quickly made it home and Kate and I quickly reduced the clothes to a pile of smoking ash. I was still very uneasy. Melissa had threatened us, and from the look on her face, I knew she was very serious. She was coming after us.

Short and sweet for my lovelies!