e i g h t e e n

Chapter Eighteen

Missy

     I lay sprawled out next to the other dragonets, watching with a grin as Victor chatted quietly with Cassidy. Since that day at the supermarket, Victor found any excuse possible to go to the supermarket just to talk to her. We had crayfish to last for at least a week even if we cooked a pot every day, that's just how much he went to visit the Kymari woman.

     "He's totally taken by her," the ex-spy chuckled as he watched the two.

     "Tell me about it," Kate giggled as I shook my head at his bashful behavior.

     "You ought to hear him at home, all he does is talk about her," I hummed, "I'm surprised she gave her name so quickly, I guess she likes him a lot to."

     "Well, he is a fire-lizard handler," a female dragonet mumbled as she stretched under the sun, "She'd be crazy to not consider him a potential mate."

     I hummed in agreement. Kymari took marriage very seriously. They looked into every detail possible and only then did they determine whether they were going to marry them or not. I personally hoped that Cassidy didn't mate with Victor just for his status. Victor seemed extremely taken by her and I knew he would be hurt if she did marry him just for his status. Of course, if she hurt Victor, I would not be a happy lizard and would drive her out with my flame.

     "Are you guys off today?" one of the dragonets asked in the mindlink.

     I shook my head, "No, we just didn't have as many hours. Luckily, we didn't find any sicora or crawlers, but we did find some ktari on some trade ships."

     "Ktari? What are those?"

     Kate answered, "Victor explained that they are distant relatives of the sicora. The blood memories don't give us any information on them, but the Kymari said that they were not dangerous and are more like rats and mice that used to exist."

     She hummed as Kate finished her explanation.

     "When you encounter them, do they spark the rage like the sicora do?"

     I shook my head, "No, not even close."

     The dragonets went quiet after that, and I flew off lazily towards some trees in search of some fruit. I knew that Victor wouldn't be too concerned about me flying off, as the tracker he had installed inside of me tracked my exact location as well as my heart levels and some other crap I didn't care to remember.

     Landing by a nearby bush, I picked off a few plump raspberries and plopped them inside my mouth. Though they weren't as good as the Shia fruit or the sunburst berries, they were still a few of my favorite. Movement to my left caught my attention and I whipped around with my wings flared and ready to spit fire if needed. I blinked as I saw a deep blue dragonet staring back at me. Just from looking at him, I knew he was one of the survivors from the lab. He didn't have the innocence in his eyes like the hatchlings did.

     "Sorry for scaring you," he mumbled as he approached the raspberry bush. I blinked rapidly and stepped away, allowing him to take as many berries as he wanted. For some reason, I was drawn to this blue dragon with a voice so deep and smooth.

     "N-No," I stuttered, "It's fine, I should have been paying attention."

     I went back to picking berries, plopping them in my mouth and shyly avoiding contact with the male. My instincts wanted me to mate with him, and I was astounded. I'd never felt this way about any other male dragonet, so why him?

      "Missy," he murmured as his eyes roamed over me, stopping momentarily on my scar. Despite not being human, I could feel my face heat up and my heart rate rise. What is this?! Surely I wasn't about to jump this guy's bones! I loved the way his voice made my name sound.

    "Y-yes?" I squeaked.

     He walked closer to me and sniffed my scales. I remained still, not daring to move. He growled lowly and I tensed. His scent was nice.

    "I am Max," he softly spoke, "Perhaps we can become...friends."

     With that, he bumped my neck softly and took to the air. I watched until he was well out of sight before making my way back to where Victor was. Upon emerging from the brush, I could see his shoulders relax. I laughed softly. Upon meeting the male dragonet, I completely forgot that I had left Victor's sight.

     "I'm alright," I told him.

     He sent a smile my way before turning back to Cassidy, and soon after that, their date was over and we were now back home.

-*-*-*-

     Kate was relentless in her teasing. As soon as I got home, she noticed my strange behavior and questioned me until I spilled the beans about the dark blue dragonet I'd had the pleasure of meeting.

     "So, his name's Max," Kate hummed as she stretched over me. I lay on the floor, defeated. Her hours of interrogating had me exhausted.

     "How did it feel having your instincts scream at you to mate with him?"

     With a huff, I stood up and shook my scales. Kate looked up at me from her position on the floor, her eyes telling me that I wasn't going to be able to escape her. I narrowed my eyes at her and we stayed that way, staring each other down before I sighed, giving into her demands.

     "It was weird," I finally answered, "I thought I was going to jump his bones then and there. I wonder what he was feeling, but it must have been something similar since he suggested that we be friends."

     I rolled over on my back and Kate snuggled up against me.

    "He even smelled nice."

     Kate chuckled evilly and stood up, staring down at me with that all too familiar mischievous glint in her eyes and tail swishing. She took to the air and I watched her warily.

     "I wonder how Victor will feel about this!"

     With that, she took off towards Victor's room, leaving me stumbling over my feet as I gave chase.

^.^ Romance may just be on the horizon people!" Please like and comment. ^.^