0 . the beginning

December 31st, 1989

The rain poured down heavy as people waited in anticipation for the new year to come in any minute now, waiting for the fresh start of a new year; Edward Cullen loathes new year. It's a reminder of another meaningless year on the planet, another lonely year he has spent and another one impending.

He drones out the drunken thoughts of the people surrounding him on the London street; he made his calls to Carlisle and Esme earlier, not bothering to call his siblings. They'd all be busy anyway, they like to party.

It's just midnight when his sensitive hearing picks up the sound of a baby crying. He frowns deeply and looks around, his eyes searching as his ears listen for it again. Right away he hears it, louder and more intense this time. What's happening to the poor thing? His eyebrows furrow as he jogs at a human pace towards the sound, finding an old warehouse just off the secluded docks he was walking in.

"Hello?" He calls.

He hears a soft gasp and he quickly runs over to the small blonde girl slumped against a wall, the crying coming from the bundle of blankets on her chest. "P-please don't hu-rt us."

He quickly takes her hand and lays his other on her cheek. "I won't hurt you honey, you're safe. Can you tell me what happened?"

She shivers, her lips blue and her eyes drooping by the second. "T-take him." She whispers in a weak breath. "Take my son..."

Edward looks at the baby; he must only be hours old, if that. The poor thing is blue like his mom, his naked body swaddled only in a thin dirty blanket. Edward quickly takes his jacket off and wraps the boy in it. "I got him, and I've got you." He promises as he glances at the baby. "...Miss?!" He gently shakes her as she doesn't respond.

He feels her neck and his heart - if that's even what it should be called now it doesn't beat - breaks metaphorically. "Oh god... I'm so sorry." He whispers to her, gently closing her eyes.

He looks down at the boy in his arms, his tiny face scrunched up. In that moment something changes in Edward - maybe he has a purpose. This boy needs a home, safety and love. Three things Edward wishes to give...

 Three things Edward wishes to give