15. hold me down

Arthur taps his foot impatiently as he waits in line for his phone time, antsy at this point to talk to his father or someone who'll give him answers. It's taken weeks but they've built a case and his lawyers are confident they can get him out, no record or charges to his name. But if it goes wrong... It could backfire completely.

It's finally his turn and he dials the number, crossing his other arm over his chest as he leans on the wall. It takes a moment before someone answers. "Baby..?"

His heart leaps. "Hols... Hi."

"Oh Arthur." She cries. "I miss you!"

He forces a smile for himself. "I miss you too... I don't have much time, I need you to put my dad on." He says.

She sighs deeply and hesitates a moment before she hands it to Edwards waiting hand - how she got to the house phone before, he'll never know. "It's me."

"Well?" Arthur asks.

Edward looks at Paul who nods, taking Holly out of the room with her. "They listened. It appears Ms Campbell has a few cases that don't add up - but we need to keep this on the downlow. If she finds out her prior cases have been reopened or looked at, well she could do something rash and we don't want that - we can't afford that - and we need this. Once they see her faults they will be more willing to look into your case, a higher profile case."

Arthur sighs, mixed with a groan. "So, what, I'm stuck in here? I'm bait, dad, any day now I'll raped, beaten or killed." He hisses in a low voice. "This prison is worse than the last."

"I know. Alice is keeping an eye out, we'll do everything we can for now. Just try stay in your cell, don't go into the yard or the canteen any more than necessary. Your bail hearing is in 4 days, you're gonna be fine."

"I'm - Argh." He snaps and just slams the phone down. Arthur knows his family are doing their best but it's hard - REALLY hard. He kisses Holly and Renesmee; he misses his ma's cooking and the banter he had with his uncles. But he doesn't want them to see him in here, to see what he's been reduced to. Nothing. He's nothing in here.

He drags himself back to his cell, laying back in his bunk as he let's out a big sigh. Four days? His father thinks its really easy to stay out of trouble in here for four days? Someone was beaten half to death just last night because he stood in the wrong place. Just last week Arthur saw a man have his head smashed in for looking at someone wrong. This place is unpredictable, it's all over the place, it's hellish.

Dear god, please let me survive....

-

Arthur slowly follows the officers into the holding cell, ready to be transfered to the courthouse. He's nervous - he finally gets to see Holly, but he isn't exactly in a great state. He got beat up a few days ago, probably a warning, so he's got a busted lip and a black eye. He's also barely slept, so he has purple bags under his eyes. He's a bit of a mess.

He runs his fingers through his hair as he sits on the bench, waiting, his hands free off cuffs for the first time in hours. He's in a smart shirt and dress pants, as presentable as he'll manage to be right now. He instantly looks up as he hears the gate buzz, his father the first in before Holly runs in after, straight over to the bars.

"Arthur!?" She gasps.

He smiles and stands, waiting for the officer to open the cell and move aside. He pulls her close to him and inhales her scent closing his eyes. He's missed her, she's so familiar to him these days. "Hi." He whispers.

Holly cups his face and kisses him gently a few times. "Look at you!!"

"I'm okay." He shakes his head, pulling away for a moment to hug his father and shake his lawyers hand. "Missed you." He whispers to his dad.