14. keep the faith

The last few days have been tough. Arthur was transported back to a proper facility, his lawyer telling him what he was arrested for. According to the warrant, he'd breached his parole; his files, however, are being withheld so no one knows which part of his parole agreement. Someone wanted him back inside.

He shuffles into the visitors room and sits on the chair in front of the glass. His dad's black eyes meet his as he already holds the phone; Arthur grabs his and rests his elbows on the table.

"Hows Holly?" He asks.

"She's very pissed off with you. Tried to kick Charlie's ass to try and see you." Edward says in a small voice. "I'm so sorry-"

"What are you sorry for? You tried to appeal my charges and someone didn't like that. I told you... It was better to leave things as they were. I don't care if I had a record for the rest of my life, I don't care if people gave me a bad rep... This is bigger than just me. There are other people who want this kept shut." Arthur says in a hushed voice.

"Yes, I know. But what do you expect me to do? I'm your dad. And because of that I am going to pull every string I have to get you free." Edward promises.

"Don't. You'll just cause more problems, for more than me. This will backfire on you. You can't stay a secret if you're all over the news, people will question. You're all better off leaving Forks soon, starting fresh. Make sure Holly is settled and happy, help her be that, and then forget about me. You guys are more important than me. "

Edward shakes his head, laughing small. "Oh Arthur... I'd die if it meant you were safe. I'd tell the world what I am if it meant you'd be free. It's time I set my sights on what's important - Family. You."

Arthur sighs. "It's a losing battle. There's probably hundreds of people happy to see me back behind bars."

"And those aren't important. Now, who would want to ruin your life?" He asks his son.

Arthur laughs bitterly. "Ooh let's see. Jacob. Josie's mom and dad, her brothers. Maw pissed off Campbell. Diego. Diego's mom is a senators assistant, she probably has a few strings to pull. Who wouldn't want me back behind bars? I can't talk if there's no one to listen."

"Jacob wouldn't do that." Edward shakes his head.

Arthur rolls his eyes. "Of course he wouldn't. Do you realise how many times he threatened me? Give him the chance and he'd kill me. He is the first person I'd go to about this, I'd bet you any money it was him." He shakes his head.

"I know he hated you. I know he was nasty, he can be like that, but he has a stake in this - Nessie. He'd never do anything to harm or upset her, including getting rid of you, no matter how much he wanted to."

"Whatever. That's all I have to say." He says as he hangs the phone up.

"Wait. Arthur. Please, just stay and talk." Edward calls, tapping the glass.

Arthur raises one of his cuffed hands as he walks back to the door. Edward bangs the glass. "I'm not done with this! I'm gonna get you out!" He calls.

"Sir!" an officer snaps.

Edward sighs and slams the phone back on the holder storming out. That could've gone better.

-

Edward skids to a stop at the house and climbs out; his family are waiting in the front for him, all very much upset with the whole situation. His eyes look around as he listens. "Jacob!" He yells.

Bella frowns. "What... Oh, Edward, he didn't do this." She says when she realised what he's thinking. "He wouldn't."

"Yeah?" Edward scoffs. "He would. He would do anything to ensure his own back was covered and no one else's."