Chapter 43 - Cyberlife Tower - Part 2

95%

I aimed the gun at Connor immediately.

"Put the gun down, Charlotte," Connor ordered me. "There's no use now."

"Maybe, I can stop you," I said. But...thats not what I really mean. I can't kill Connor. There has to be a way out.

96%

"Listen, I know the real Charlotte is in there somewhere."

"There's no talking me down now," I explained. Those aren't my words! Cyberlife is taking me over. They're not repairing my software...they're taking control. Full control.

97%

"Charlotte, Nick would be really dissapointed," Hank said. Nick...Nick. Nick would be really...really sad. Wait...is he the key?

Analyzing memories...

"You said before that you're less prone to deviancy. How?" Deputy Lance asked.

"I have a biocomponent, #6302S. It acts as an additional AI program to regulate my own," I explained.

That's it. The #6302s. That's how come I haven't been able to say things, do things, and even think things. That's how Cyberlife is doing this.

98%

"Think about our people," Connor said calmly.

Oh trust me, Connor. I am thinking about them.

99%

I quickly forced the gun to my biocomponent with what bit of control I have left, and fired.

I collapsed to the ground.

Repair sequence cancelled...

Shutdown imminent... 2 minutes

The matrix of my programming shattered, and I felt the emotions of fear of death wash over me. I'm a deviant now.

Connor rushed over to me and kneeled by my side. He gently touched my cheek. "Charlotte..." He whispered.

"Oh...Connor. I'm a deviant now," I whispered back. I couldn't speak up very well. The thyrium is filling my other organs.

"Why did you do that, Charlotte?" He asked his eyes welling up.

"My biocomponent. It...it was preventing deviancy. I had to," I answered. Connor looked down at where I shot myself.

"They put it directly in front of your thyrium regulator," Connor cried. "You're going to shut down."

"I know...but you're still kicking. That's what's important," I responded. "Look. You're going to save our people."

"I made a promise to you," Connor said calmly, wiping his tears.

"And hey. I'm a deviant now. You kept it," I mumbled back. My voice was getting machine like now. I'm getting close.

"I'm making another," Connor said confidently. "I promise you. I'll find a way to get you back here. I'll give you the freedom you deserve."

"Leave it alone," I answered back. "I got what I wanted."

"No," Connor threatened. "Fuck that."

"Connor...I only have about 30 seconds left," I said calmly. "Tell Nick he was a great friend, and that he's a great cop."

"Of course."

Connor kept his hand on top of mine and just held it for a moment.

"Thank you, Charlotte," he said weakly.

"Thank you...for letting me know you," I answered. He leaned forward and planted a kiss on my cheek.

"Goodnight," he said calmly.