Chapter 57 - Christmas - Part 1

I arrived back at Jericho and immediately headed to where Connor would be. Of course, I found him directly next to the hospital entrance waiting patiently.

"You're back. How did things go?"

"I told someone androids have laser eyes, and Deputy Lance offered to let me stay with him."

"...about that first thing?"

"Don't worry about it," I answered. "How did things go with the Lieutenant?"

"Overwhelmingly positive. He seems to be...happy. He hasn't stopped drinking, but he's certainly not drinking as much. Not to mention how happy he was to see me out of the hospital room."

"Is that what he said?'

"No. He said 'glad to see someone put fire under your ass, because that's the only way you were fucking moving.' But with Hank, summaries are best."

I smiled. "Yeah...he's vulgar."

Connor looked excited for a moment. "I start at the station on the 26th. Hank and I are going to be partners," Connor admitted.

"Did you have to tell them I was coming back?"

"No...I just told the Captain that I would make Hank complete his patrols."

"Hank and you...in navy blue uniforms...waiting in a car...for noise complaints?"

"I never promised the uniform part, just that we would sit in a car for 3 days."

"3 days? You're going to do it for 3 days?"

"He's skipped them for 2 years. We should be doing them for weeks," Connor explained. Connor sighed deeply before looking at me. "Did you talk with the Deputy about returning?"

"No...I'm not even ready to return yet. I...I don't like all this pressure. I'll make a decision. The idea of working and living at Jericho is very tempting. I'm hoping that...I'll figure it out."

"I know you will. I know you can figure anything out," Connor encouraged.

"Thanks, Connor," I said, giving him a slight hug. He hugged me back gently.

"Are you even tired? You know you don't have to sleep every day right?"

"I know...I guess I won't tonight..." I thought for a moment. "Do you remember Doctor Lance mentioning Christmas dinner?"

"Yes. How she wanted you at her house for it, right?"

"How exactly...do I go about that?"

Connor smiled. "Yes. That is new, isn't it? I believe it would be customary to buy a gift for everyone in the home, and present it to them. Should we look into doing that tomorrow?"

"I guess so. Are you going to Hank's for Christmas?"

Connor pondered for a moment. "I...suppose I might. He mentioned it today...Christmas, anyway. Perhaps that was a social cue?"

"Maybe? I'm not good at them either..."

"I suppose I'll stop by his house then. Do you want to brainstorm some gifts, Charlotte?"

"Maybe? I'm not sure. Being deviant includes a lot of choices..." I remarked.

"It's alright. We'll figure it out," he answered smiling.

~

The next morning I pulled on a coat and looked down at my list. I understand why Markus needs them now. Connor and I had spent the entire night planning gifts, and well...it's hard to focus.

Margot - Dolls? Books.
Christen - Tea kettle and notebooks
Nick - Clothes ???
Fiona - ???

I take it back. The list is absolutely useless. Not to mention, I couldn't exactly brainstorm with Connor as to what to get Connor. I put the notepad in my jacket, when I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder. I jumped, and turned around to see Connor.

"Oh God, you scared me," I said chuckling.

"Sorry!" He announced, although he too started chuckling.

"C'mon. Let's go," I said, heading up the staircase out of the hospital. This morning, Doctor Lance officially released me from overnight observation. It's almost like she's going to see me again in 12 hours...oh wait...she will.

After I filled out my paperwork, Connor and I made plans to head off to the stores to purchase Christmas gifts, although...I'm now regretting that.

"Hey...yknow when we get done finding Hank's gift...we can just separate, and meet up again. Maybe later tonight?"

"Are you trying to get rid of me to buy me a gift?"

"Just a little..."

"You don't have too. In fact, you REALLY shouldn't," Connor said nervously.

"Are you saying that because you have  no idea what you want to get me?"

"Just a little..." Connor answered.

"It's okay, Connor. You don't have to get me anything," I answered.

"No, no. We're doing this now. We're in too deep," he said, softly.

"Connor, this isn't war. It's Christmas."

Connor sighed deeply. "You're right...you're right."

Connor and I left Jericho and then got in the taxi to head to the city...

~

"Connor. It's been 20 minutes."

We're in Hot Topic.

Staring at a wall.

Of various albums and band merch.

"I don't know what he has!"

"Connor, do you really think Hank has been in here at all?" I said gesturing to the various young teenagers walking around.

"Knowing Hank...yeah...I do. He's so bold!"

"The band is called Knights of the Black Death, do you really think anyone listens to it?"

"I am absolutely positive that at least Hank Anderson does."

"Okay..." I said sighing deeply. Connor just sighed deeply.

"I'm buying one of everything..." he sighed.

"Connor, no-"

"It's happening," he said, picking up a mug, an album, and a shirt. He continued to grab some more things. "I just need you to grab that baseball hat, and were good."

I picked up the poorly designed and low quality, solid black baseball cap, and followed Connor to the counter. Maybe the total cost of everything will trigger something in him screaming 'this is a terrible idea!'

"Your total today is $432," the cashier said sighing, and bagging everything up.

Connor simply took out his wallet and paid him in cash.

Okay, take it back. "I never fail my mission," Connor remarked, winking at me.

"I don't know if this counts as a success," I responded. Connor slid each of the 5 bags up his arm to carry them. We purchased solid black wrapping paper earlier...so it's time for us to go our separate ways.

"Okay...I'm going to get my stuff for the Lance's," I remarked turning away.

"Wait," Connor said grabbing my shoulder gently. He quickly kissed me. "Bye..."

"Bye," I responded smiling.