Set Up

"Ouch!" I pull back feeling the alcohol sting against my cheek.

      Brian reached forward again with a cotton ball towards my cheek. I flinched instantly and moved away from my bed. 

    I got up, holding my stinging cheek in one hand.

    "You are such a baby!" Brian laughed. "Do you want your cheek to get infected?"

  I stared at him not saying anything. I looked in the mirror seeing a small bruise there.

     "You know what?" I turned to Brian. "I think I'm willing to take that risk."

Brian rolled his eyes. He threw the cotton ball away. He came over to give my homework but stayed for a little.

    His face turned serious as he watched me rub my cheek. "Are you going to be okay?"  I looked at him and then turned to look at the ugly purplish bruise. I nodded slowly.

   The slap came to quick for me to even think about blocking it.

    "When we go back to school, you gotta be more careful. You don't wanna make her angry," Brian said worriedly.

      I turned around, something was off.

I didn't tell him how I got the bruise but it seemed like he was automatically assuming.

    I searched his eyes as he turned away and fluffed my pillows; clearing avoiding eye contact.

"Oh...my...god."  I narrowed my eyes and started blinking a lot to avoid tears.

    Brian still wasn't looking at me, but he looked guilty as sin.

"You knew."  That wasn't a question, it was a statement.

              He ran a hand through his black hair, looking more and more guilty.

Which started making me angry.

     "You knew, and didn't warn me." I huffed, the look on his face was giving him away.

Brian made eye contact with me. "I didn't think you would listen---"

"Shut up!" I interrupted. My eyes widen in realization as I was putting the pieces together.

  "You knew what Blake was capable of," I paused, shaking my head. "Get out."

Brian stood up, "Look Val, I was trying to warn you about Blake, she's not someone you should be messing with." His hands were in his pockets as he looked up at me with sad puppy eyes.

    "No." I refused to believe it. "You didn't say she was like this." I pointed to my bruised cheek.

"But I tried to warn you, some things you were probably gonna have to find out for yourself---"

     My mind zone out, I was recalling the last conversations we had. The first time meeting him, his first warning about Blake, and him telling me about Taylor----

     I looked up at him, now I was angry. I wasn't listening as he continued to talk, instead, I pulled my bedroom door open, not saying a word.

   His eyes darted between me and the door. 

"Come on Val," He pleaded, not moving.  "It's Valentina," I said annoyed.

"I did try to warn you. Come on, please don't be mad at me. I tried to tell you everything--"

"Even about Taylor?" I interrupted an image of him smirking when I brought up her name flashed in my mind.

    He knew.

   Brian stayed quiet. I pointed to the outside of my room. "Bye." I gestured to the front door. "You may exit here."

    Brian left slowly and showed himself out. I stayed watching the door after he left. It's like he wanted that to happen to me.

    Minutes later my dad walked into the house. A smile grew on my face. He's been so busy working and I was glad to see him.

      He was taking off his coat when I walked up and hug him.

"Hola Val! How's my princess?" He ruffled my hair, as I laughed.

   "I'm okay dad, what's new with you?" I let go of him as he took off his shoes. I loved my dad to death.

       "Funny you should ask because I have some great news for us," He said happily. He gave me a big smile and he hung one arm across from me and guided me to the living room couch.

    When we sat down, he pulled something out of his pocket and showed it to me. It was shiny and a goldish colour.

  A badge.

"Oh my gosh!" I smiled giving him a big hug. "Congrats, dad! I knew you could do it!"

    My dad has been attending the police academy and studying to be a police officer for a while now. He loves teaching but being an officer was his dream.

    "Gracias Val. This means that by the time winter break is over, I won't be teaching anymore," His voice laced with sadness.

  I gave him a small smile and gave him his badge. "But now you are much more, and you accomplished your dream. That shows heart dad." I said trying to cheer him up, and it worked. He looked at me and gave a big smile.

     "Let's talk about you now, how has school been?" He asked curiously.

"It's been good," I lied, hoping he wouldn't notice.

    Besides Blake, Brian, and Zane school wasn't so bad. I still didn't know what to think of Taylor.

     "Are you sure?" My dad raised his eyebrows. "You look like you're in deep thought."

I shook my head. "I'm fine dad, but congrats!"

  My dad uttered a final thank you before getting up and heading the kitchen.

   "By the way, did you find out what you wanted to do for your birthday?" He asked from the kitchen. Sounds of pots and pans rang together.

   My birthday... I completely forgot I was turning 17 soon. So much was going on and it must have slipped my mind.

   "Not yet dad," I responded. I got up from the couch, my birthday was just after winter break.

"If you wanna invite some friends over you can, just give me a head up on how many, okay?" My dad said.

  I nodded, but then realize he couldn't see me. "Yes, dad!"

    I started walking to my room, my first thought that popped into my mind was 'what friends?'

Maybe I could invite Taylor and get to know her better? Or maybe even Macy? Although for some reason it seems like she avoids me now and then.

      I planted my self-face down on my bed. I wanted to plan for my birthday, but at the same time, I had to look for colleges, a job, etc. Not to mention, trying to avoid Blake and her crew.

My mind felt full of stuff that I didn't feel like thinking of, besides winter break starts tomorrow, which gives me two whole weeks to think.