Chapter 2/The Ceremony of Dreams

Edited version(There's always more editing I can do to this story of course). By the way, if you guys have casting opinions for this story please tell me!

Hope you like this story! 

      When I woke from that dream, it actually felt real. Like I was actually at the ceremony. Maybe because this will be my last one before I leave to attend school.

        My eyes, once again, close at gleam of sunlight hitting my face. "Elizabeth, come on you have to get dressed." My mother says with a nervous voice. Gradually I open my eyes to find my mom looking me. "We don't want to be late to the Ceremony.”

        Slowly, I get out of bed to look and see my mom checking her long, gray dress for any imperfections that she can fix. My right hand smooths the dress that is lying beside my bed ready for me to slip into. It‘s the same color as my mothers dress, gray. I never liked gray. It has no character like vibrant colors do. For example, all the colors of the adult’s eyes are beautiful. Some are normal colors, like blue, but then there are others, like orange and purple, that just purplex me and make me wonder how eyes could be like that when all of us children have gray eyes. Maybe we get colored eyes when we get to school.

        I grab the dress and put it on easily. After that, I walk downstairs to see bacon, eggs and sausage on the table; that is very rare. Usually I have cereal, or something that makes neither my mother nor I put too much effort into preparing. "I’m going to miss you so much Beth. Every day. This is a goodbye present." I turn around and see my mom tearing up the slightest. We sit down and start eating the wonderful food.

        I look over at the other side of the glass wall separating our family and see my father and brother. They are eating cereal, unlike my mother and I. My dad is reading the newspaper like he always does. And, not strangely, they never see us on the other side.

        As soon as some strange sinking feeling settles in the pit of my stomach, I feel my mother’s hand touch my shoulder, making me look up. "I have one more thing for you sweetie." I turn my head so I can look at my mom holding something in her left hand. "Don't open it until you get to the school."

        A sigh leaves my mouth, "That makes me want to open it now." She laughs and instantly looks at her watch, remembering that we have a place to go. "Is it time to go?" I look and see my father and brother getting up from their table too.

        "Just brush your teeth and then we’ll head out." I nod and go up to brush my teeth.

        As I brush my teeth, I shake the box holding my present. Is it a bracelet, or a watch passed down through her family? No, she was already wearing a watch which is the family’s heirloom, so it wouldn’t make sense for her to have two watches. This city doesn’t make watches anyway. Well, I’ll find out soon enough.

        After brushing my teeth, I take my time walking down the stairs. My mother says that the school will let me visit her any time I want, so I won’t get too homesick, but I just have this nagging feeling that I’m really going to miss this place.

        I look at my father and brother, like I always do, not expecting them to look back. Today, however, when I turn my head to look at them, their heads shift toward me and they smile like they have also been waiting for this day. A day where they can finally say hello.

        I am about to move my mouth to say something nice but my mother beats me to it. "I’ve missed you so much.” She says to my father, her lips quivering.