Chapter 3/What Are We?

"What the hell was that?!" I hear Maggie, who is right next to me, exclaim. I try to move but can't. Whatever just occurred has weakened me too much. "Why aren’t there any lights on? I like light now they’re making me really angry."

        "Light weakens us you dip-wad. The girl Tammy shut them off after she was done with what she did with you Maggie. Any type of severe light could damage." Rachel says with so much certainty it almost scares me. What is she talking about.

        A laugh bursts out of my mouth carelessly. It’s probably neither the time nor the place to be doing so, but that doesn’t stop me. "Don’t you guys think it’s funny, the people let us into the school and tell us that we’ll be safe here. Then they stab us and in turn kill us. They literally stabbed us in the back." There is a moment of silence that let’s me collect my thought.

        The last thing I remember is the girl that claimed to be a vampire that’s in all our books.

        "We need to get out of here." Maggie says trying to get up, but her efforts are futile because it seems that none of us are able to use out legs!

        I try rolling off and it works, "Maybe we can just-" the door opens and I almost fall to the ground but something catches me.

        "You okay?" Somebody asks, but my eyes are closed, so I can’t tell who it was who uttered the words.

        "Does it look like I'm okay? I was trying to roll myself off this bed because I couldn't find another way!” That is desperation. “Why can't we move anyway?!"

        "Well it's good I was here to get you before you fell on your face." He says to me.

         I finally see his face and my mouth drops just like Maggie's and Rachel's.

        "You're in the textbook! You're that one vampire that had to fight 15 hunters! Only one survived. Your name is...Derek." He smirks."You look a lot more real than in the textbook." His hair is this rich brown, his eyes are blood red, and his skin is the most pale skin I have ever seen. He is tall, but not abnormally so, and has an attractive air about him. He carries himself in a way that makes you want to get to know him, be his best friend. That sly grin he wears is captivating ....

        He snaps me out of my reverie when he replies, "Well that's because...I am real. Not in a textbook." I laugh a little."Oh and to answer your question about why you can't move it's because we decided to paralyze you from the waist, down. We knew that after what happened to all of you, you would try to escape. So we paralyzed you and locked the doors."

        "Wow. That shows trust." Maggie says. Derek helps me back to the bed and approaches Maggie.

        "I bet I can tell just what you all are thinking right about now. ‘These people are insane! They need serious help and we need help getting out of here’,” he says that last part in a tone that, I assume, is supposed to be an imitation of our mental voice, but it is, quite honestly, a bit insulting. “Telling you that you’re vampires and then killing you." He walks toward Rachel. "You're the only that seems not to be dazed about dying and then coming back."

        "How old are you anyway?" I interrupt. "That battle was like thirty years ago! You had to be at least twenty or something?"

        "Oh let's see, I was twenty something like you said. And this battle was thirty something years ago. So yeah I'm like 50 or something. I look good for my age don't I?" He says sarcastically.

        Rachel looks up at him. "You would look good and you’re modest, too." I laugh.

        He ignores what she said and keeps talking. "You don't age when you're a vampire. That's a perk." He turns away from Rachel and comes toward my dresser. The present from my mother is on it. "What's in this?" He says staring at me.