SPECIAL DETECTIVE LANCE GRAHAM

"OKAY, so Andy you want the Caramel Brûlé Latte and Cyndy—"

     "No, I said the Chestnut Praline Latte." Andy said, interrupting Adeline as she balanced her phone between her ear and shoulder, while her hands rummaged through her purse. Her fingers stilled, then she brought them out of her bag and properly held her phone, along with her bad temper.

     "You just told me at the office that you wanted that one." Adeline said, her brows knitted in confusion.

     Lunch lazily had rolled around at the office in The Globe and Mail, and sadly, Adeline was stuck with buying the coffee at Starbucks for Andy and Cyndy. 

     "Were you even listening?" Andy asked.

     "No, I tend to block your monotone voice out of my head—yes, of course I was listening you numb nuts!" Adeline screeched. Suddenly, a little giggle sounded in the background of their phone call. Immediately Adeline knew she was on speaker, and that chuckle most likely belonged to Cyndy. 

     A brief pause was evident between all of them, until Andy broke the silent chain. "Fine, I had changed my mind when you went out."

     Frustrated, Adeline slapped her hand to her forehead, and grumbled audibly. "Aaaandy," she whined. "I'm at the counter now so make up your mind."

     "Sorry, they had shown it on the commercials this morning and I couldn't resist..." Andy said, his voice dying down near the end.

     "Alright, alright. Let me get this straight. You want the Chestnut Praline Latte, and Cyndy wants the Caramel Brûlé Latte."

     "Yes," Andy replied.

     "Now did I get it right this time?"

     "Yes, yes, yes—now go get us some coffee, I'm starving for some caffeine!" Cyndy claimed dramatically, to which Adeline broke out into a small smirk, and an eye roll against her co-worker.

     "You can't be starving for a drink Cyndy," Andy said.

     "It was only an—oh never mind."

     "Because," Andy continued, obliviously, "if you were starving for a—"

     Adeline hung up swiftly, not caring in the least over their petty conversation. Andy had a bad habit of becoming swept up easily out of one topic, and into another—forgetting entirely about everything, and everyone around him. To Adeline, he resembled the characteristics of a child with triple ADD.

     A different conversation from another time, and place, had struck a cord in Adeline's memory. There seemed to have been a sort of refreshment, when she talked to Christopher Robert Evans, having the acknowledgment and being acknowledged from one person. 

     Comically, Adeline sadly made a conclusion that a non-believer listened with greater care, and solemnity, than one of her brothers or sisters in the Lord.

     The whole scene was rather daunting to Adeline, considering she spoke to an atheist, a person who had no similarities with her upon a spiritual aspect. She was the light and salt to the walking, tasteless, dark, decaying death that sat across from her.

     But then again, Jesus Christ didn't eat with princes and kings. He dined with prostitutes, homosexuals, swindlers, revilers, individuals who coveted, adulterers, idolaters, fornicators, thieves, and drunks. Sinners who needed grace, because it's by God's grace through faith that people are saved.

     Jesus had nothing in common with these people, other than he was human just like them. God's only Son came into the world to save sinners, not deny them their eternal salvation.