A PHONE CALL A DREAM AND A DETECTIVE

SHE stared at her cellphone having second thoughts. The last conversation Adeline had with Lance was rather, touchy.

Her fingers reached for the phone, but then she jerked her arm back, then leaned in to grab it, but stilled. Hand hovering over the phone, she shook her head and snatching up the device, said, "Stupid, stupid, stupid," each time her thumbs punched into her contacts, and clicked Lance's number. "Stop being a stupid sissy," she uttered to herself.

Each ring encouraged a thud thudthud of her heart to pound wildly. "Hello," Lance spoke after the third ring.

"Hi," Adeline said. "It's me. I need a background check on someone."

There was a pause, then Lance asked, "Who?"

She felt her heart race faster again, the tone of his voice told her their little argument was still raw between them. He was usually short and to the point, but nothing like this.

"I talked to Lillian Miller today. She mentioned her ex-boyfriend to me, and when I looked into what the file had on him, there wasn't much said on him, so I—"

"That's because we didn't find much on him," interrupted Lance gruffly, a bit of annoyance edged his voice. "You won't find anything on him, he's clean, so therefore I won't be doing the background check."

Adeline sucked air into her mouth, breathing inward, and was shocked and beginning to get angry. "But Lance—"

"I've already done what you're thinking Adeline," he told, rather defensively. "There's no point. Now I've got to go. Goodbye."

Click.

Great, she thought miserably.

Time to do things old school.

____

Stairs.

There were too many of them, and where did they lead? The only way to find out was to climb them, so Adeline did.

Her caramel colored jeans felt tight around her waist, the muscles tensed in around there when she climbed the flight of stairs. Her v-neck t-shirt felt more clammy as the piece of clothing clung to her skin. With each brave step, Adeline clenched hard on the banister. Her pace became more fragile, as if she were walking on glass in an unknown valley of witchery

She carefully turned and met the last step. Darkness swam around her everywhere, until she caught sight of two doors. One was black and the other white. The black door had the number six on it. People swarmed to get inside that door to see what was beyond its frame. Even though no one had gone through the white door, a vile feeling crept up Adeline's spine, when she wandered her sight over to the black door.

Suddenly, people's horrified screams pierced her ears, and words of terror jumped out at her. "Please, oh Please help me," someone said, grinding their teeth. Adeline bite back a scream as she heard another person yell out, "My tongue is so dry, just one drop of water, just one drop, please!"

A shudder ran across her skin, giving Adeline goosebumps. She gradually moved towards the white door, and was confused as to why so many individuals still ran towards the black one. As if they were deaf to the obvious screams of those who suffered within it.

As she grew closer to the white door, she noticed a shinning number seven on it instead of a six. This door, unlike the black one, had a sort of welcoming that reeled her into its presence; no fear associated her when she came near. She blinked several times, having become half blinded by the light that bounced off the oak's wood.