GLASS SHATTERING, BONES SNAPPING

A WEEK LATER

LANCE couldn't believe it.

The boy was alive, and a healthy five year old at that.

And Adeline's little hunch was right. He'd already told the journalist "Good work," over the phone a week ago.

Around the same time the journalist checked out the restaurant, the detective tracked down Drake and discovered the guy happened to up and leave town merely to start a fresh life somewhere else, somewhere, where memories of his high school, away from his ex-girlfriend wouldn't be. The guy had just picked a bad time to up and leave his home town.

Jasper, the abductor and mastermind behind the cruel plan to take his only son, was now behind bars, along with his older brother Trevor. Both of whom acted in the despicable crime, and just as Adeline predicted too.

Two years before Geoffrey went missing, Mr. Collins took a heart attack and died, leaving his sons behind with a lump some of goods and money in his Will. One of the things being a small, cozy cottage on Lake Ontario.

Canadian police swarmed the bush around the cabin, in along the driveway, and in the back and front of the house, by the time Jasper could realize what was about to come down. Lance, in among the officer's in blue suits, found Geoffrey—unharmed—and playing with a plastic red car in the living room.

A joy and relief like no other, flooded the detective's senses at the mere sight of the living, breathing, and curious little fellow.

"Turns out Trevor was out grocery shopping, but came back in the nick of time for a surprise—which he tried to drive away from, but some of the officers guarding the entrance of the road, only got bullet holes in his tires before he completely got away." A chuckle lingered in Lance's words, as he spoke to Adeline over the phone after everything settled down.

"So Trevor still lived with his brother?" Adeline's signature voice sounded over Lance's phone.

The detective answered, "Yup. During his interrogation, we got him to talk. Turns out the guy has been illegally working in Canada for five years. That should go to show Canada's poor immigration system," Lance said with a low grumble. "Anyway, we got him."

"And Jasper?" The woman desperately didn't want to leave out a single detail.

"Jasper has been legally living here, that's probably why his brother was living illegally here right under our noses."

"If Jasper lived in Canada all this time, then why did he need his son's birth certificate?" Adeline inquired.

"Trevor confessed that he brought Jasper's son back to America until things slowly died down here." The journalist slowly digested all the news. She still couldn't believe that she was right. Half of her was doubtful about her hunch, the other half was a guess.

A sudden stillness settled between them, Adeline had something to ask but the question slipped through her mind like butter, and Lance had a feeling. He knew so much about her, and knew her too well.

The journalist would have loads of questions and forget some of them as the ones she did remember, were being answered. Even in the silence they tended to converse in a sort of unique way.

"So where was Jasper when you guys swarmed the cottage?" she blurted out, as if remembering finally. Lance's upper lip twitched into a casual smirk, a smirk directed towards Adeline for remembering her nosy question, and how they found Geoffrey's father.