Track 14

Do you remember? 

How you were the first to lend me a shoulder. 

"Gather up!" The teacher's voice silenced the mass of students.

The year was coming to a close and like every year, the grade was met with the usual camping experience. 

We filed into a single line. One by one, each of us boarded the bus.

I sat down, seeing the others filling up the seats.

Others sat down with their friends, talking happily amongst themselves. 

By the time every other seat was filled, I turned to the window pane, waiting for that one person who had no choice but sit next to me. 

Eventually, the seat beside me weighed down.

I sighed out, eyes darting across the passing streets. 

"I heard there's a beach near where we're staying." 

I recognised your voice instantly as my neck snapped around to meet your eye smile.

Surprised, I nodded slightly in response. 

You were surrounded by your friends. There was no reason for you to pick that seat. 

For the first hour, I gazed out the glass pane while listening to your soft breaths. You didn't stir in your sleep, allowing a pleasant peace during the trip. 

Soon enough, my eyelids were drooping from weariness. I rested my chin upon my palm, placing my elbow on the window sill. 

Before I knew it, I was fast asleep against the glass pane. 

By the time I woke up, the first thing that welcomed me was a sweet fragrance. 

Lavender. 

Clothes freshener? 

I took in a short sniff, remarking the fleeting scent.

The pleasant smell was accompanied by your shallow breathing, bringing a peaceful aura to my dreamlike consciousness. 

My eyelids lightly batted open but to be met with the sight of your neck. I was leaning upon your shoulder, yet my neck was rested against your chest. 

I was settled near the crook of your neck. 

"Awake, sleeping beauty?" 

Strands of my hair quivered at your breath. 

I was hauled into full consciousness as I blushed furiously, quickly lifting my head off your chest.

My lips remained agape, wanting to apologise. The situation was awkward. 

I couldn't speak. 

You stared. 

I blushed. 

Before long, I was fumbling with my bag to retrieve my notepad and a pen.

"It's fine." You shot me a small smile, understanding my intentions. 

The corner of your lips tugged up slightly, almost frolicsomely. 

You continued. 

"I don't mind."