Track 22

Do you remember?

How you were the first to make me speak.

That time on the rooftop. Do you still remember it? 

It was our first encounter with each other. 

Over the years, my classmates became something else. 

They interpreted my silence as an inability to speak.   

I watched the torn pages of my notebook fall to the ground. 

I listened to them read out each and every one of my past words.  

I stood stiffly in front of the laughing group of people. The evening wind was blowing heavily.

Their faked high pitched voices narrated over my words, attempting to impersonate one of a girl's.

Silently, I directed my attention to the ground, feeling the agonising pain well up inside me. The pulsating urge within my chest drove tears to pool at my eyes.  

"Why don't you open your mouth! Let's hear something!" They shrieked. 

My lips pursed tightly together, 

"Why don't you just speak!" 

Their voices rung clearly through my mind. I quivered, head shrinking into my neck in embarassment and fear. 

Following a loud thump of the rooftop door, I heard your voice for the first time. 

"Cut it out." 

Your commanding words silenced everything. 

"Do you guys have no shame? Leave her alone." 

They were all surprised at your serious demeanour. 

"We're just playing, Jimin." 

"It doesn't look like everyone's having fun." Your eyes gazed coldly over the group of people before landing on my cowering figure.

A half-hearted chuckle echoed out. "Jimin, what are you so serious for? We were just having fun." 

"Get out, before I report every one of you." 

Silence overcame the whole roof. Your eyes gradually darted across the people. 

"You guys want to be suspended?" 

Little by little, slow and awkward shuffling of feet passed by me. The relieving sensation came to me as the roof door closed shut, my shoulders stiffly rolling back. 

"Are you alright?" Your gentle voice startled me slightly. "I'm sorry. I'll make sure they get reported." 

My eyes locked with your warm ones. I was still quivering. 

I could feel the overwhelming amount of emotions coursing through me. 

Relief. Fear. Gratitude. 

Dread. 

Dread? 

You talked like as if you could stop them. Perhaps all you did for me that day, was evoke them. 

Perhaps they were going to come back for me. The fear raced through my body, the awful thought pulsating in my mind. 

Trembling, I opened my lips. Without a doubt, I was grateful to you. But, that wasn't my first reaction. 

I should've thanked you as a normal person would. 

"I hate you."