Chapter Twelve

"I hope my parents don't scare you too much," Alyssa said. It had been a month since the birthday dinner, and she still brings it up. Once again, they had lunch with them after church, and they were headed home. "I know they talked your ears off."

Spencer shook his head. "They didn't bother me. I was glad they talked. I felt part of the family."

"Well, you are now. You are a part of my family, and I can tell that they love you."

Spencer nodded. "So, do you know any places hiring? I really need to find a job. I have been back for a month, and I can't seem to find anything. I can't provide for you and Matthew without one."

"Oh," Alyssa said. "I forgot you haven't been here too long. What exactly are you interested in?"

"Well," he began. "I have my teaching degree. Since it is the middle of the school year, I can't secure a job right now. I did apply for the next year because they have a teacher leaving. Honestly, right now, I would take anything I could get."

Alyssa nodded. "I know the grocery store is hiring cashiers, and we have a diner that needs a temporary cook. I don't know how much interest you have in that."

"I'll check into them tomorrow. Anything is fine with me."

"Okay. Sounds good. You can do that while I go to work and Matthew goes to school."

"I didn't know you worked. What do you do?"

"I'm a nurse. I work the early shift, so I can spend time with Matthew. I get off in time to pick him up from school."

"Oh. You don't seem like the nursing type to me."

"What does that mean?" She laughed.

"I don't know. Most nurses are mean and tired all the time. I haven't seen you mean at all. You are always smiling. I like your smile."

"Thanks." She blushed. "As much as it stresses me out, I leave it all behind at work. I have a child who needs mommy to be happy."

"I get what you mean." He smiled at her. "Would you mind if I took you to lunch tomorrow? We have known each other a month, and we have been married two weeks. I haven't had anytime to get to know you."

Alyssa smiled. "Spencer Walker, are you asking me on a date?"

"Well, um," he blushed. "Is it really a date since we are already married?"

"Married people go on dates too Spencer. It helps better their relationship." She nodded.

"Okay. Well, I guess I did ask you on one. It would be good for us to better our relationship."

She grabbed his hand. "Yes, Spencer. You can pick me up for lunch. My lunch break is 12-1:30."

"Okay." He smiled. "We have a date."

She laughed. Soon enough, they pulled into the drive, and she went to get Matthew.

Spencer came around and shook his head. "I got him. You go on inside."

She nodded. She walked towards the steps and begin to think about how much she loved having him around. It was better for her health when she didn't have to carry Matthew everywhere.

She really needed to talk with Spencer about her health problems. What is going to happen when he wants more children? He doesn't know that it could be dangerous for her.

"I'll get to it. Eventually." She mumbled to herself. She walked inside, and Spencer followed not too far behind.

Her secret still hanging between them.