Chapter 7 - The Lowest Life Form in the Sects (Part 1)

In the seventh month of the year, the weather was transitioning from summer to autumn, creating a beautiful picturesque view no matter where you are in the capital of the empire, and they have arrived. It is also the first time that I will be leaving the Shang family's estate as the venue for the selection of disciples is in another ancient family's estate.

Not including the royal family, there are altogether 3 ancient families in the capital that are located in the capital. They are the Shang family, to which I belong to, the Ying family and the Liu family. The power that these three families holds in the empire are more or less equal, as they hold each other in check and the royal family actively ensure that no family will get a major advantage over the rest.

The families will take turns hosting the disciple selection that happens every decade and this time, the Ying family will host the selection.

After absorbing the qi from the 10 spirit stones my father obtained for me, my absorption time was reduced to around 40 minutes from an hour.

After receiving the hundred additional spirit stones, I continued to practice like I did and managed to reduce the time required to 30minutes by using 60 spirit stones. The remaining 40 spirits did not manage to reduce the time that I required to absorb the spirit stones significantly. My initial theory that my qi absorption rate would increase the more I absorb was incorrect.

As the time grew nearer for me to leave the house and meet up with the rest of the family members that are going to try to join a sect, my parents came out to wish me good luck in the selection. They also brought out my siblings and held their hands and taught them how to say and wave goodbye to me.

...

One of the servants accompanied me to the main gate of the estate. It took me 20 minutes just to walk from my house to the main gate, that's how huge the Shang family estate is. The Shang family is similar to the royal family, where those talented in cultivation have all joined a sect, while the rest will be working in the government.

Those who do not have enough talent in cultivation to join a sect and are not proficient enough to work in the government are taken care of by the family so that they do not seek other pursuits that will make the family lose face.

Reaching the gate, there is already a group of people waiting at the main gate. They look to be of varying ages, from 10 years old to 19 years old. Elder Yu who visited during the birth of my siblings was also present.

I walk towards the group and greet elder Yu.

"Shang Shi greets Elder Yu."

He turns his head and looks at me with a puzzled face.

"Mmmm, you haven't entered the realm of Qi flow? The one hundred spirit stones would have been able to push you into the realm of Qi flow. Anyway it doesn't matter since the day of the disciple selection is here, join the group and we will leave once everyone is here."

When I join the group, the rest of the children are giving me weird looks. They start whispering among themselves and finally one of them speaks up.

"Why are you here when you have not even achieved Qi flow? There is no way you'll be able to compete with anyone. You should know that the absorption rate of spirit stones drastically increases when a person reaches the realm of Qi flow." He says in a raised voice.

He stares at me with his furrowed eyebrows. It kinda makes him look comedic with his beady eyes and thick black eyebrows. His long black hair is also bunned at the top.