Chapter 64 - Lu Wang City

The time that Liu Kang spent in Lin Yu city was not spent in vain. He had grown stronger. He could fight more bravely now, as he has become numb to killing. People couldn't become numb to taking the lives of others unless you were put in a fight where only you or the enemy could survive, and even then, many people would suffer PTSD or would have to come to terms with the killing somehow.

Everyone has seen death and had associated it with something sad. Death is always a tragedy until you kill someone. Death would become your saviour, as you were the one delivering it to your enemies, but you still associate death with depressing emotions.

Everyone has different ways of adapting to death. Some just stop caring, some would rationalize, telling themselves that they were saving people while soldiers would believe they were their enemies, and they killed their enemies to protect their loved ones. There are many reasons but for Liu Kang, all the wailing, begging and watching all of the people getting executed one by one, just made him realise that this way the way of the world.

He had attacked and probably killed or disabled some of General Ling soldiers, and he could be the next person who was executed. I must get stronger, strong enough to wipe out this entire corps with a wave of my hand, Liu Kang reminds himself constantly.

As he travels with this corps to Lu Wang city, he is constantly awed by how disciplined they are. Fifty thousand soldiers, yet they are all marching orderly. He corps had left the other five thousand soldiers in Lin Yu city and He Jin city, to make sure that the city stays in lockdown until they are done with the entire operation. This is so that news of their actions do not spread and that the Society of the Heavens cannot escape.

Even when he was in Lin Yu city, the soldiers were all alert and there were only a couple of soldiers who stood guard in a lazy posture, but they were still alert and aware of their surroundings.

As a cultivator who had formed his core, he could sense that the soldiers were constantly spreading their spiritual sense all around them and they would lock onto him whenever he got near the soldiers. He also realised that the soldiers did not pillage or act out against the people at all.

The journey of this corps of fifty thousand soldiers took 5 weeks to reach Lu Wang city. Normally, it would only take people around two weeks to reach Lu Wang city from Lin Yu city if they had a fast horse, but as there were so many people in this group, they naturally took a longer time to march to Lu Wang city.

When they finally reached the gates of Lu Wang city, the city gates were closed and they did not want to open the gates for the massive amount of soldiers. They were scared. News of what happened to Lin Yu city and He Jin city was sure to spread.

There were rumours that when the army entered the gates, they locked the city and burned everything inside. While nobody really knew what happened inside the cities, when the black smoke came out from the city, they people all believed that the city was being sacked and ran away as far as possible. Some of the people ran towards Lu Wang city and the rumours spread.

On top of the city wall, the city defence force had their bows aimed at the massive army as one of the captains shouted: "State your purpose!"

Looking at this ridiculous scene, right now Liu Kang is unsure which group of people is more absurd. He grabs a shield from the soldier next to him and uses it to defend himself and the governor, while the soldier looks at him with a weird stare.

The entire corps is carrying the Dragon Claw Corps's banner up high and unless you are rebelling, you would open the gate for the army that keeps your province safe. Not to mention that these insane soldiers are not even raising their soldiers when the city defence force has their bows aimed at them.

The city defence force is not using wooden arrows, but arrows that can hurt or even kill cultivators! Once they fire, there would be casualties but it is also clear that this group of soldiers would also immediately retaliate and start slaughtering the city defence force.

The city defence force main purpose is to defend the army from spirit beasts and buy time for the army to arrive if a group of cultivator attacks. Every city only has a garrison of around two thousand defenders and there is no way they are able to push back this army of fifty thousand soldiers.

General Liu stares at the captain with a frown but does not say or do anything.

In this time spent at Governor Shang's side, Liu Kang has noticed something. That General Liu was actually not the person in charge of this operation. While he was the person who gave all the orders and commanded all the soldiers, he would actually not kill anyone if the governor does not give the kill order.

As Governor Shang started walking closer to the city gates, Liu Kang had to move in tandem with him. Soon Governor Shang stopped and looked at Liu Kang in frustration and said, "Lower the shield. They're not going to fire..."

Governor Shang then took out a medal from his pocket and tossed it to the captain on top of the city wall and said "I am Governor Shang, and we have come to Lu Wang city on official business. That is the Emperor's medallion. Open the city gates now and let us in or we will execute all of you on the grounds of rebellion."

Once Governor Shang finished his saying that General Ling knocked his spear on the ground and all the soldiers moved to a combat stance immediately.

*BANG*

The sound of the soldier's shifting their stance, drawing their sabre and raising their shields echoes out loudly. The city defence force faces changes quickly and fear can be visibly seen on their faces.

The captain quickly summons his aide and the aide runs out of sight and he says "The mayor will be here shortly. Please wait for a few minutes."

About ten minutes later, a well dressed man appears on top of the city wall and he shouts "State your purpose! I know you sacked and burned Lin Yu city and He Jin city! If you do not make it clear what your purpose is, we wil-"

*szzzt*

Before he could finish the sentence, an arrow hits his forehead and pins him onto the wooden pillar behind him. The city defence force immediately draws their bow back but the captain shouts "STOP!"

Before the captain could say anything, Governor Shang interrupted him and said "I will count to three. If you do not give the order to open the gates, I will judge all of you as rebels and you will all die."

The captain shakes in fear and looks at the other captains without knowing what to do as Governor Shang counts down.

"One..."

"Two..."

Before he could count to three, a sword slash from inside the city chops the city gate into two.

"Does this count as the city being opened?" A man's voice echoes out from inside the city.