•4•

Morning sunlight trickled in between your eyelids, and you knew that you had woken up early again.

With a groan you turned over, pulling the blankets into a cocoon and burying yourself into them, trying in vain to go back to sleep.

You felt slow, heavy, and your head ached a bit. You could tell that going to bed as early as you had the night prior was the culprit - deviation from your schedule usually ended badly.

A few minutes later you rose from the mattress, grumbling as you staggered out of your blankets and preemptively turned off your alarm. Well, you weren't going back to sleep apparently, so you may as well start your day.

You passed by your parents' bedroom and noticed that there was still a lump in the bedding.

Mom has the day off, right. You thought to yourself. Looks like you'd have to be as silent as possible until she woke up.

You made yourself breakfast and brewed a pot of coffee, waking up as the smell of the roasting beans wafted through the room. You poured yourself the first cup, preparing it how you liked before taking a big sip. You sighed pleasantly, taking a bit to let the caffeine start working. Your morning routine then continued without a hitch.

"Good morning mom," you said gently to the form of your mother as she came into the kitchen. You received a grunt in return as she made a beeline for the coffee.
You retrieved your coat from the hall closet while waiting for your mom to boot up.

"You. Are my favourite child." she finally said after half a cup.

You shook your head and laughed.

"I'm your only child." you replied, sliding an arm into the coat.

"Yes, but you're still my favourite!" she shot back. You zipped up your jacket and chuckled as you hugged her.

"Love you mom. See you this evening."

"Love you too."

You hefted your messenger bag onto your shoulder and went down the stairs into the entryway. You sat down to relace and double-knot your shoes, and then opened the door to leave.

The first thing that registered was the feathers floating across the lawn. Black downy fluff and tertiary feathers blew gently in the wind, caught in between blades of grass.

The second thing that registered was... the blood.

The front step was smeared with burgundy, trailing down the steps and pathway, gravel painted red. A pool of blood surrounded the mangled corpse, one wing left fully extended and the other snapped, folded into the body.

White ribs poked out from the chest while the head was twisted to face the ground, beak scraping the concrete. The smell that hit you was indescribable - rust and rot, the smell of excrement and decay as the body spoiled in the sunlight.

A crow lay slaughtered on your doorstep.

You slammed the door closed and stared at the smooth planes of it, one hand covering your mouth as the other lay frozen on the handle. You stood there blankly, mind processing the scene just outside the door.

"Mom." you sounded out emotionlessly.

"Mom, we have a problem."

"What? What do you mean?" your mom's head popped out from the top of the stairs, hands still wrapped around the pretty white-and-blue coffee mug.

"There's a dead crow on our doorstep."

She blinked once and then placed her coffee mug on the top step, making her way down the stairs. You moved slightly so she could open the door and see it for herself.