•10•

You took the bus to Cathy's with the air of a retail worker going on their second 10-hour shift in thrice as many hours – resigned to their fate.

She lived east of the university, in the outskirts of the city where shops gave way to residential areas. Her apartment complex was in the nice side of town, only a few blocks away from one of two large parks in the city, and the only nature park as well.

The two of you had gone there numerous times in high school to passively kick your feet out in the swings and talk about all sorts of things. This old habit was probably why she had chosen that certain apartment in the first place - though you hadn't visited the park since graduating. 

The closest stop was still a block away from Cathy's place. Hopping off the bus, you yawned so hard tears pricked at your eyes.

Ugh, the day had been so tiring and it still wasn't done. In all honesty you wanted to get right back on the bus and go home to sleep. Cathy wouldn't appreciate it though. You had promised this visit to her, you needed to keep it.

Though your boots dragged across the steps like they had leaden soles, you pulled on the handle of the glass door and let yourself into the apartment's small mudroom.

The multiunit doorbells casing was a little dirty, more stained than the last time you had been there. The imprint of a few fingers still lingered on it, and when you dabbed some off with your finger it had the consistency of ash. Ew. You'd expect the cleaning people in this complex to do a better job considering how much a single person paid per month.

You wiped your hand on your pants and pressed the button corresponding to Cathy's unit. As you waited for her to respond you rocked back and forth on your heels.

A click, and then,

'Hello! Cathy speaking!" Her voice filtered through the speaker cherrily, despite being thin and crackly. You huffed quietly.

"You really shouldn't introduce yourself right away when someone buzzes you."

"Oh, who's this? I don't really like solicitors, so if you're here to sell me something you's have more luck with the person two buttons down."

You let out an exasperated sigh.

"Cathy come on, it's me."

She immediately giggled, the sound distorting into static.

"Oh, I knew it was you all along. Come on in!"

A harsh buzz sounded, and the door beside you clicked, signalling it was unlocked. You pursed your lips and summoned the last vestiges of your inner patience as you entered the foyer and made a beeline for the stairs.

You had to be patient with her. She was just joking around with you, there was no need to get frustrated about it. You were her friend. Friends teased each other.

You reached her level and took a moment to lean against the wall. You were still on edge from that afternoon event. Seeing her after the fact felt wrong somehow. Shouldn't you be alone?

The front of her door had one of those dry erase boards on it, despite being an apartment. There wasn't currently anything written on it, but you knew that in the past it usually held her current mood or some sort of inspirational quote. You rapped your knuckles twice on the wood.

"Hey friend!" Cathy exclaimed, throwing the door open. You flinched slightly from the force behind it, then stumbled as she pounced on you, wrapping her arms tightly around you in a hug. You steadied yourself and returned the hug.

"Hey Cathy." you replied. She hugged you tighter for a second an then unlatched herself like a tick fed its fill. With a flick of her hand she ushered you into her apartment, and you followed.