•7•

You wrote a note to your mother.

Mom,

Last night I woke up nauseous and checked for a fever. I've come down with something and I'm staying home. Please pick up some soup when you come back this evening.

Love you.

You left this sitting on the kitchen counter with a little drawing of a face with a cold pack on its head and a thermometer sticking out of its mouth. You knew she wouldn't have bothered you at all until the evening when she came home, but you felt that the note was necessary anyway.

The next few hours were spent being unfortunately awake. You had attempted to sleep a few times, but as soon as you began to doze your body acted as if it was electrocuted , jolting you unceremoniously out of sleep. Some sort of survival mechanism that was as unneeded as it was unwelcome; but nonetheless you watched the sun slowly illuminate the world behind your blinds, eventually slotting itself between the slats in golden slices of light.

You heard when your mother got up, read your note, and left. You heard the door shut and lock. You heard the car as it sputtered on and rolled out the driveway; only then did you unravel yourself from your covers and left the room.

The first thing you did was go to the bathroom, open the first aid kit under the sink, and slap an extra large Band-Aid on your wrist to get it out of sight and out of mind. When you were finished in the bathroom, you went to the kitchen to get something to eat. Something quick, easy, and out of the way. Then, when you were full, you called in to work and told them you were sick, apologizing for the lack of forewarning.

After hanging up you returned to the safety of your room and opened your computer.

All your professors required an email if a student were to miss classes for sickness or otherwise. This was mainly because of how content heavy your classes were, and the labs you would miss. You weren't sure how long you were going to pretend to be sick. Probably only as long as it took to calm down.

Your palms were sweating. You had to wipe them on your pyjama pants over and over.

Once all the emails were written and sent, you hesitated, unsure of what to do. There was no next step you were sure of. You had homework, sure, but your mind felt too scattered to be able to focus on your assignments.

Your phone then buzzed with an incoming message. It was Cathy.

Heyy!

Didn't see u at the store! Where are u?

I'm sick today, had to call in. Won't be at school either.

You set your phone down, only to suddenly be flooded with texts.

What?

No!

Did you forget about our hangout?

I can't believe u!

We were gonna get cookies remember?

Whyyyyyyy XC

How sick r u? Can't u come out for 1 hour?

You winced, feeling your stomach twist

I'm sorry but I can't. I'm running a fever and really nauseous.

Ugh! Can't you just take some Dayquil or something?

You went to respond, but she sent a message before you could finish a word.